Video - A Nurse Applies for Food Stamps

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IntelliUser, Aug 13, 2011.

1. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

It's ridiculous that bankers and investors who serve practically no useful societal purpose wreck the economy by playing games with money. And then walk away with millions sometimes billions of dollars.

While people like nurses who provide critical jobs can barely afford the cost of living. Much less putting money away for retirement...

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I think Jesus shared your views about money lenders. ;)

They suck on the system, producing virtually nothing in return.

3. codymac macrumors 6502

Should have read: "Video - An unemployed nurse applies for food stamps"
    :rolleyes:

4. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I'm not aware that she is un-employed where did you find this information?

I don't find it remotely un-believable that a nurse would need food stamps now-a days. For example the area that I live in has an extremely high cost of living a nurse making maybe 40K per year would pay roughly half of hear yearly earnings for housing, another eighth for food, 1-2K for utilities, 1-2K for gas.

Basically a full time nurse may easily end up with none of her salary for savings at the end of a year...not at all hard to imagine.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

$40K???

Pick your state.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Nurses (actual RNs) make bank compared to some other professions. I can't watch the video but I imiagine it's a load of crap.

7. codymac macrumors 6502

She stated it in the video while applying for assistance. One of her daughters has a job but she's currently unemployed.

I do. I find it very unlikely that the average working RN would qualify for assistance. Have a look at nursing job postings and salaries.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

that or she is unemployed. The sad part about this mess is the people caused it and cheated the system made tons of money and never will be punished and it is the rest of us who suffer. Honestly I feel some people who created this mess should loss all there money and spend a fair amount of time in prison. People giving knownly bad loans to people who could not afford them should be punished.

The banking industry is way to much of the economy. It should be around 10% instead of I believe the near 30% it is now.

9. codymac macrumors 6502

To me, the thing that's even more sad is that partisan hyperbole is being used by both extremes to incite their bases and take the focus off the point you bring up here.

No... sad isn't the right emotion...
    :mad:

10. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Make Bank? Do you speak some sort of underclass language not known to us middle class people?

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

"Make bank"=high salary.

At least in the many parts of the US, this is true right now. There has been an acute nursing shortage for about 7 years; the cumulative effect has been a very sharp increase in their pay over the last decade.

I can't speak for all parts of California, but in the Bay Area a new nurse who just passed the board exam can easily make $45/hour, $50+ with night time differential. A nurse with 5 years of experience can top $70.

The trick is getting a job. Hospitals are reluctant to hire new grads because they require a lot of training and tend to move around frequently for the first few years until they find a workplace they like.

Of course in this video, the person is actually a nursing student with 2 children, which is a perfectly good explanation of why she needs help right now.

12. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Sorry, I'll feel sorry for teachers before I shed tears for overpaid nurses. And in terms of "critical" jobs, the doctor is providing the critical skill here, not the RN.

13. codymac macrumors 6502

I believe one of her daughters is the nursing student. I thought the same for a moment, but at one point in the conversation the woman plainly states "I'm an RN."

I took the bit about nursing student to be an explanation about one of her daughters.

14. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

You never been in a hospital, have you?

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Oh ok. Is she working part time then? It's not really clear, but during the convo at the window she seems to say she has no child support, a mumble, "part time," and then they talk about the 19 year-old daughter.

It doesn't work that way. If you are in a hospital, 90% of your health is maintained by the RN. You will rarely (if ever) see the doctor, and nurses have a great deal of leeway to determine what your needs are at any given time.

To borrow an analogy from another profession, doctors are like air traffic controllers while nurses are like the pilot who's flying your plane. You want both doing their job, but in any given moment you need the pilot a lot more than you need the controller.

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

;) This thread is quickly developing possibilities.

I credit a post-op RN with at the least saving my finger from death after out-patient surgery, and the most preventing blood poisoning from setting in.

Her name is Marg, (I made it my business to find out), and a very nice lady she is. ❤

17. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I'm curious - do nurses work 40+ hour weeks? I ask because the media loves to talk about an airline pilot's hourly wage, but they never seem to mention the fact that this wage is based on a (typically) 65-85 hour month. I just want to make sure I'm not making the same mistake here. :)

18. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

TBH, I'm not really sure what the point of the video is. She's a nurse, has a 19 year old daughter and one at home. I don't believe she gives the second daughter's age, but one assumes that she would be in her teens.

There's clearly a shortage of nurses and it's unclear why this woman doesn't have a job much less why she needs to apply for food stamps. There may well be a valid reason but the video fails to provide an explanation why she's doing it.

I'm not really sure why the OP thought it was relevant to anything at all.

19. codymac macrumors 6502

From what I gathered, she's an unemployed RN, her only support is child support, and she has two daughters, one of which has a job, the other doesn't, and one of which is a nursing student. Yeah - there's a bit of mumbling and referencing papers we can't see so we don't get clear context of who exactly they're talking about.
    *shrug*

For hospitals in my area, they generally work a 12 hour shift a minimum of 3/4 days a week - but it depends on the hospital, the nurse's specialty, and staffing needs. If they want to work more, there's plenty of opportunity in my area. Experience and certifications get them more money and more desirable positions.

Couldn't disagree more. After working alongside both, I'll take nurses over doctors any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

20. killerrobot, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I believe the correlation was that if single mother of two daughters who is a part-time RN (she said she was employed part-time in the video - @3:00 - but then says all she has is child support :confused:) still has to apply for government assistance then there's a big problem with society - especially one where the top 400 people own more wealth than the bottom 50% (150 million people).

Yes, there's a lot of (background) information missing from this video, so take from it what you want/will.

EDIT: Watching the video again it sounds like maybe she is a part-time student studying to become a RN?:confused: I can´t quite figure it out.

21. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I too was wondering what he was thinking since he didn't even bother to post a comment or an opinion in his post.....maybe he thought the camera work was nice? or perhaps his cousin made the video? or maybe the nurse is his aunt?

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

"Nurse Ratched, please call 211. Ratched, 211."

Attached Files:

23. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

It depends on the hospital/setting and the nurse's preferences.

Some require 12 hour shifts. Full time for those shifts is 3 shifts per week, or 36 hours per week.

Of the 5 nurses I know personally, 4 work 5 8-hour shifts each week.

To the best of my knowledge, nurses work about 1,800-2,000 hours/year so a nurse who is paid $50/hour will have a total salary around $100k/year if they are working a traditional full-time year.

24. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I must have missed that lesson I thought "bank" was a noun.