Video call no wifi? (Skype kinda suck)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by earwax69, Apr 6, 2013.

1. earwax69 macrumors member

Hi, I'll need to contact a person that have an iphone 4s but no wifi access. Only 3G in Japan.

Problem is, facetime dont work without wifi and Skype really dont work well even for phone call without video. It drop constently. Very annoying.

Is there a better solution?

thanks

2. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Unless some block from the carrier in Japan the iphone 4s can do facetime over cellular data (3g); weird about skype ! Have been very reliable for me in the last 3 years.

You can try other call services like "Viber" or "Tango" for video calls but i suspect its more of a reception problem.

3. earwax69 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Roxxette for the feedback. I'll check into Viber and Tango.

I often try to connect via skype with a friend in Singapore and it's not better there. Maybe it's only optimized in the US... no idea. Strange because the internet speed is quite fast on the iphone here.

4. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Yeah i find strange that your friend is having problems with skype, i also dont live in the US and dont have problems.

Viber seems to be very reliable for other people, hope it works out.

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

We are staying with International calls right? Can you share where-to-where?

6. earwax69 thread starter macrumors member

Wow, Tango work perfectly!! I tried it with my wife over 3G and it's very good. No robot voice, no slow down of the video. Just perfect. I hope it's going to be as good with people at the other side of the planet!!

I have no idea why skype is not working well on my network. It just drop all the time. It's perfect from computer to computer yes but not cellular.

thanks for the advices

7. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Dominican Republic to US and several EU countrys.

Works really good for me :)

----------

Thats good to heard ! Im positive Viber will work just as good too.