Video comparison of rMBP Safari scrolling performance before and after Update 2.0

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pgiguere1, Nov 8, 2012.

1. jffluis macrumors regular

jffluis

Still unnaceptable in my opinion. Facebook scrolling is notably better, but scroll lag on Xcode is there, its so choppy scrolling trough text! Omg how can. Webpage with tons of pics scrolls better than Xcode?

2. pgiguere1 thread starter macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

I just tried Xcode and text scrolls very smoothly. Quartz debugger reports around 45FPS which seems about right visually. Even when scrolling in a large storyboard I get around 35FPS.

Are you sure you don't have that SMC bug?

3. zakee00 macrumors regular

zakee00

Thanks for some real data! Safari felt faster. The rest of the OS doesn't seem to have gotten a boost for me, but I have not tried any games yet. Chrome still lags, but I'm pretty sure that is a Chrome glitch.

4. jaqueh macrumors member

yeah why does chrome suck so much on rMBPs, I hated switching back to safari but I had to. I think it's because it's still 32-bit

5. Snowshiro macrumors 6502

Reading these forums baffles me sometimes. Really - I'm being serious, not flippant.

Chrome - runs fine.
    Xcode - runs fine.
    Safari - runs fine.

I'm not sure what people are doing that seems so different from my own experience.

6. stevelam macrumors 65816

Probably because you have no idea how to test or just refuse to see the differences.

Yah chrome "runs fine" but it's clearly slower than safari (which sucks because I hate safari). Just test the scrolling on http://ebay.com/new/ to see the obvious difference.

Lots of seemingly simple coding text apps like coda, sublime text etc start lagging when scrolling long color coded code.

I haven't installed the update yet but if all it did was improve safari performance then meh.

7. mrvectrex macrumors newbie

Old:
    Nvidia GPU Driver Version: 8.0.61 295.30.20f02

New:
    Nvidia GPU Driver Version: 8.6.22 304.10.20f04

Cheers

8. jffluis, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012

jffluis macrumors regular

jffluis

I reseted my SMC and it lags. I can make a video showing it.

EDIT:

9. pgiguere1 thread starter macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

I'm not a Chrome user so I'm not sure but if I recall correctly, unlike Safari, Chrome doesn't have GPU acceleration activated by default and you have to enable some flag to turn it on. If your scrolling is entirely handled by your CPU then of course a graphics update won't help.

10. zakee00 macrumors regular

zakee00

That would make some sense. I turned on GPU acceleration manually for Chrome last week and it made no difference for me. I'm waiting for them to turn it on themselves, in a functioning state, and until then I'm sticking with Safari. Only thing that bugs me about Safari is how long it takes to reload a page after a two-finger 'back' swipe.

11. Cjallen macrumors newbie

I see a definite improvement on every website but Facebook. Lag is still the same :/

12. jaqueh macrumors member

I FIGURED OUT WHY SCROLLING IS SO JERKY ON rMBP.
    Disable smooth scrolling by typing this into terminal:
    defaults write -g NSScrollAnimationEnabled -bool NO

Also, yeah, it's really disappointing that Chrome is so terrible for rMBPs

13. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Just checking - everyone else can still use their HDMI outputs, right?

I just tried it a few times and the built-in screen would flash blue when I connected the cable, but nothing was coming out the other end and there was no other signs of anything working on the MBP side.

This is a brand-new machine. I tried it yesterday before the update and it worked flawlessly first time.