Video Converter for iPhone 4S?

reddevil0728

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
handbrake's a good start.
But the thing about handbrake is, it's just generic conversion to .mp4. I want those kind that will convert to fit certain size specifically for iphone 4s or ipod touch 3g. I want it to hv a smaller file size

Comment

iMacDragon

macrumors 68000
Oct 18, 2008
UK
But the thing about handbrake is, it's just generic conversion to .mp4. I want those kind that will convert to fit certain size specifically for iphone 4s or ipod touch 3g. I want it to hv a smaller file size
you can tell handbrake what quality or file size to aim for.

Comment

reddevil0728

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
you can tell handbrake what quality or file size to aim for.
dun hv the kind of software where you can pre-select which settings u want the video to be converted to like iphone 4s, ipod touch 3g?

i ain't that good at changing settings manually.

Comment

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Handbrake has presets for devices that that you can select. Depending on the resolution and compression settings of the source file the preset may reduce the file size enough for you. If not, pick the preset and then adjust the Constant Quality setting or use the Target Size option. If you can't do that then you really are going to have problems using any app to adjust the file size of videos. You can't without making such adjustments.

Last edited:
Comment

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
The only thing is Handbrake isn't 100% full proof, hence, it doesn't work on the most recent dvd's. Handbrake doesn't offer updates to allow rip. Unless, I'm missing something.
For DVD's, make sure you always have the latest version of VLC installed. If that doesn't work (for newer movies), I will then use something like Mac The Ripper or Mac DVDRipper Pro to to extract the movie (this has never failed me), then I'll use handbrake to convert it to a .mp4 file.

Takes longer, but it works.

Comment

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
For DVD's, make sure you always have the latest version of VLC installed. If that doesn't work (for newer movies), I will then use something like Mac The Ripper or Mac DVDRipper Pro to to extract the movie (this has never failed me), then I'll use handbrake to convert it to a .mp4 file.

Takes longer, but it works.
So VLC has to be current (latest version) for Handbrake to work on the most recent dvd's. Did not know this. I thought it was just a player.

Comment

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
So VLC has to be current (latest version) for Handbrake to work on the most recent dvd's. Did not know this. I thought it was just a player.
VLC is required if you're decoding DVDs, but it's not required if your converting one video file to another (like .AVI to .mp4).

VLC is required to break the encryption of DVDs, having the latest version will ensure compatibility with newer movies.

Comment

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
VLC is required if you're decoding DVDs, but it's not required if your converting one video file to another (like .AVI to .mp4).

VLC is required to break the encryption of DVDs, having the latest version will ensure compatibility with newer movies.
Thanks so much for the explanation. I had no idea the latest VLC was needed. I always thought it was HB that had to be the latest, as VLC, to my knowledge, was just to play the conversion.

Well, I just checked VLC, I still have the latest version 1.1.12. Back to square one.....

Will Try Mac Ripper Free Edition. Thanks

Last edited:
Comment

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Thanks so much for the explanation. I had no idea the latest VLC was needed. I always thought it was HB that had to be the latest, as VLC, to my knowledge, was just to play the conversion.

Well, I just checked VLC, I still have the latest version 1.1.12. Back to square one.....

Will Try Mac Ripper Free Edition. Thanks
Google "Mac The Ripper 3.0"

It's so much better at handling newer movies,

Comment

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Did just that, but this was the reply:

You can't open the application MacTheRipper because PowerPC applications are no longer supported.

But anyway, YouTube says to download a 3rd program called Perian, in addition to HB and VLC, do you know why this is advised?
I have Perian installed as well, it's a Audio decoder.

Mac The Ripper 2.6.6 (or something like that) was designed for Power PC computers and worked in Snow Leopard and lower OS's and required Rosetta (something Apple removed in Lion), Mac The Ripper 3.0 is for intel based computers and is supported by Lion

Comment

brianwilliams

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2012
iPhone 4S Video Converter is best accordingly to me. It can put almost any video formats to iPhone 4S with best video and audio quality.

Comment

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
I have Perian installed as well, it's a Audio decoder.
Perian is a multi format video codec pack. It gives OSX support for many video and audio formats including mkv, avi, divx, FLV, mpeg4, etc. Many programs use Perian as a means to decode video.

Unfortunately Perian ended support not long ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.