[Video] Heat Test - iPad 2 vs. New iPad 3 (New iPad is HOTTER!)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JagNL, Mar 22, 2012.

1. JagNL, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012

JagNL macrumors member

Good morning everyone,

You've all probably heard of the consumer reports using thermal imaging to test the new iPad's heat levels and the iPad 3 getting pretty warm.

Well, I decided to do a quick video comparing the heat levels of the iPad 2 vs the new iPad 3 while playing games. I used an infrared heat thermometer to measure different spots on the back of the units, the new iPad got significantly hotter than the old iPad 2. Check out the video below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4VCRPKDeMQ

-Jag :apple:

2. Booloo macrumors regular

Booloo

So at the warmest spot it gets 1 degree hotter than our normal blood temperature.

But seriously, thanks for the video. It's cool that you spent some time making it. This just has to be one of the most overblown "issue" i see coming from the media.

3. JagNL thread starter macrumors member

That's right - I'm not sure how Consumer Reports got anything up to 116 F, highest I recorded was 102 F - still significantly warmer than the iPad 2.

4. tigress666 macrumors 68040

It's CR. I heard when they made the big hub bub in the 80's about the Suzuki Samarai flipping over they were found to use false reports (Here's an article mentioning it: http://www.aim.org/aim-report/aim-report-a-black-eye-for-consumer-reports/))

They may not be paid by any manufacturers for results, but it sure makes news headlines when they find a problem with a popular product that gets them more people reading them. So don't think they don't have any reason to make up stuff or over exaggerate findings. Especially when it comes to a popular product that will get them headlines for finding something bad about it.

And as that article shows, they've already proven to be willing to fabricate (or encourage) results to make headlines before.

5. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

The problem here is that every time it's reported that the iPad 3 runs warmer, the media translates that to "it burns you". I don't understand why this has spun so out of control. Running warmer is one thing. Burning is another.

If I were Apple and this affected my sales, I would be suing the crap out of CR.

6. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Nah, that would actually make things worse at this point. Wait to sue if they actually do damage you. Sueing now makes it look like they do have something to hide. Ignoring them with maybe one statement about it ("it runs up to specs") like Apple is doing is probably the much better tactic ("We have nothing to worry about.").

7. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Whats the deal with the heat? One thing is your comparing an ipad3 that the battery is 70% bigger than the iPad 2, it would be different if they had the same battery but they don't. So there really is no comparison.

8. JagNL thread starter macrumors member

Don't get me wrong (I'm no expert), but I don't think a bigger battery necessarily equates to more heat....

9. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Holy ****!

Why hasn't anyone mentioned this??

10. JagNL thread starter macrumors member

Not sure if serious?:D

11. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I'm no expert either but I think a better processor will generate more heat.

12. JagNL thread starter macrumors member

Now that I definitely agree with - at least the more powerful GPU would possibly generate more heat.

13. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

I guess I just don't use many graphics processor intensive apps. Mine never even gets warm.

14. JagNL thread starter macrumors member

Do you play any games like Infinity Blade or Modern Combat 3? I've heard of the also getting hot when watching HD videos....

15. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Actually, it was a joint report between CR and Dateline NBC, and it was NBC that rigged the test vehicle improperly.

Going back the OP, why are people still making a big deal out of this?. The increase in temperature is not significant, nor is it anything to be concerned over.

16. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

17. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

It's the graphics processor getting warm. The spot where it gets warm is exactly where the graphics chip is located.

18. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

+10000000000000000

19. JagNL thread starter macrumors member

My video was really to prove out there was a marked difference between the two - but that even at the higher temperatures I don't consider the new iPad to get uncomfortably hot.

20. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

I noticed my iPad 3 gets pretty warm when stuffed in a fabric bag with brightness at 100% on a white full screen picture.

Other than that, it doesn't bother me at all.

21. oomega1 macrumors member

Actually some run hotter then others. I have been returning due to yellow tint, but one of the ones I got was crazy hot just by turning on the brightness. You actually don't need to run anything. Simply turning up the brightness with the resolution makes it burning hot on the new iPad. Quite depressing actually. I was playing monopoly or just lux and it got burning hot. The iPad 2 runs cool running my old apps with brightness turned all the way up. So my conclusion is that the brightness and all the added lights for the resolution makes it burning hot.

22. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

New iPad Versus 5 Tablet Competitors: Which Runs Hottest?

Perhaps Wired Magazine's tests will clear this one up...

23. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

24. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

All you have to do is pick up an iPad 2 and iPad 3 on display at a store and you'll notice right away how much warmer the 3rd gen runs. It's very noticeable.