[Video] Maxing out the Retina Macbook Pro Asymmetric Fans

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The Samurai, Jun 21, 2012.

1. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Downloaded an app called SMCfancontrol which allows me to control the fan speeds. Put both the left and right fans on full speed - great outcome (was expecting higher noise volumes). See below:

2. alexiszorba macrumors member

We hear mostly the flow of air but not the fan itself so much. That's great!

That's a huge selling point for me. Which is why I will be getting that computer this summer.

From what I know this is the best laptop in the market for quiet computing and power.

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

You should have done some comparisons.
    Like a notebook with HDD and fans of next to it.
    Some gradual increasing.

The current MBP doesn't have such loud fans either. Those new ones seem not as high pitched.
    At 2000 rpm I can hear my fans in a quite environment but they are a lot more silent than the HDD. At 2500-2800 they are as loud or louder than the HDD and very noticeable. 3500+ is noisy.
    It would be more useful if somebody did a comparions.

Between old and new. What speeds subjectively correspond to each other on the MBP and the retina MBP.

I guess they just have a new less noisy engine and bearing and the blades are more for being able to push more air volume while the entire construction is flatter. The front air intake is to get colder and higher pressure intake air which was probably always a bit of a flaw of the old system.