Video of Intel X25-M G2 160 GB + Snow Leopard program start up time

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adamk77, Aug 27, 2009.

1. adamk77 macrumors 6502

I couldn't wait any longer. I was going to wait until tomorrow, but I decided to test it out today. The following is a short video clip of the X25-M in action under Snow Leopard (on my late 2008 uMBP 2.53 GHz, 4 GB RAM).

It's not much of a benchmark. I simply selected everything in the Applications folder and hit open to start all the programs at the same time.

Needless to say, I am happy with the results!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzwVWUnvZmQ

This video is loading Photoshop, Illustrator and Soundbooth all at the same time. And then individually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2IldwHay5k

The video quality is not the best. It's on my old Olympus C5050z digicam.

Also, quick xbench results (left is old HDD, right is SSD):

[​IMG]

2. adamk77 thread starter macrumors 6502

I also forgot to mention --

I kept hearing that if you install the SSD in the the optical bay slot, you couldn't put your MBP to sleep, as it froze your machine. And the only way to remedy it was a cold reboot with the power button.

I'm not sure if this is because of Snow Leopard, but I am not having that problem. I am able to put it to sleep without any problem and wake it up just fine. I have the SSD installed in the optical bay, and the HDD in the normal spot.

3. travis64 macrumors 6502a

travis64

how much faster does it boot up now with snow?

4. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    What a great idea to post that now - and what a caotic, almost nonsensical video you made.
    It doesn´t really tell me anything, neither your intension nor the results show.
    For Photo Shop ram is decidedly more important than hd ...

Why don´t you shoot again. Do a simple boot, and try putting you camera down somewhere ...

cheers

5. adamk77 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, sorry about the camera work.

But I wasn't trying to test Photoshop's performance. I was merely trying to show how fast it loads from the SSD.

If I try the same thing I tried in the video (start Photoshop, Illustrator, Soundbooth at the same time) on my HDD, the HDD will thrash into tomorrow.

6. Jobsian macrumors 6502a

Jobsian

Thanks for the video dude, that made sense to me - you don't need a millisecond timer nor a 35mm lens to know that the X25 with SL absolutely SCREAMED when opening all the apps at the same time, fantastic stuff!

Now if only we were able to cram an X-18 into the Air

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I agree, the video basically shows launching apps that are processor and ram intensive on the X25-M G2 is very snappy. There should never be any real argument there. Even on my MP Garage Band take a second, I bet on the SSD it would load up even faster.

Either way I've always been sold but I struggle because I don't want to give up my Air.

8. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

terrible videos - probably worst videos ever...

it does it make any sense to launch 3 apps simultaneously especially if they are running in background

you can't see how fast they're launching :(

a video of the mac starting up would have been nicer

9. Warsteiner macrumors member

OP: a video of SL booting up on your MBP? Please?

10. Belm macrumors regular

can you install a ssd in the hdd slot? will that work with no problems?

11. adamk77 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was filming with my left hand (I'm right handed) on a very crappy camera, so I apologize about the shakiness. I'll try to do a better job :)

I'll upload a video of it booting up Snow Leopard -- one that doesn't make you throw up :)

I think that option has always worked. I just remember reading posts where people had issues waking it up from sleep if they installed the SSD in the optical bay and used it as the boot drive.

12. highertechnology macrumors 6502

Can you send me some dramamine before I view your next video?

13. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Good man!

14. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

paper bag ready here ;)

15. adamk77 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think you guys can all put way your paper bags. I've made a makeshift tripod with my chair and a coffee stand on top of it.

Thing to note is that my user directory is on a normal HDD to minimize the writes to the SSD. So the boot time may be a just a tad bit slower because of it (or maybe not, I'm not sure).

Here's the video. I turned off the laptop then started the timer at the same time I touched the power button. It's hard to see the stop watch due to the darkness (my camera is just bad), but you can catch a glimpse of the final number towards the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxD4RaL5kFc

16. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

35-40 sec?

That really isn´t what you would hope for ...

17. pnyc macrumors 6502

These videos are so bad it's funny. Your boot time seams very long for Intel SSD, at lest twice as long as it should be. I'm on a slower SSD and I boot up SL in 14-18 sec. I don't know if having the user dir on the HD can slow things that much but I just wanted to let you know that your boot time is more then a tad bit slower.

18. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

OMG

my stock HD is way faster than your SSD

i haven't measured it, but it takes me only half of this time to boot !!!! :eek:

19. adamk77 thread starter macrumors 6502

LOL I know, I know. The videos are horrible. I'm the first to admit it. I'm using a digital camera that is close to a decade old, which doesn't take pictures or record properly.

Yeah, that is kind of odd that it takes so long to boot up. The xbench results does seem in line with the results posted by others with the drive though. I'm not so concerned about the boot time however, as I rarely shut down my machine. I care more about the program start up time.

But it would be interesting to know why my boot time is so slow.

20. spike8585 macrumors member

From what I have read, during start-up, OSX starts reading the drive once the spinning wheel starts. Before that, your long 22 second white screen, is most likely searching your HDD for a boot system, because that is where it is assigned to look. It doesnt find it, and goes to the next drive.
    It takes only 15 seconds for OSX to boot from your drive. Whatever is going on before hand is only supposed to take 5-6 second max.

You said that you put your SSD that you are booting from in the optical bay slot. I think you need to change a setting to point the bios in the right direction.

Im not an expert, but I am pretty sure that is what is happening.

21. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

I also have a new 160GB G2 SSD running snow leopard and honestly.. I'm not super impressed. My xBench disk scores are great (273.65 score) but it doesn't "feel" all that much faster than my old 500GB Scorpio Blue. Applications load a lot faster, but boot times are average at best. I actually timed boot speeds next to my bosses macbook pro (both 17" unibody 2.66Ghz models) who has a 320GB scorpio black, and his machine actually loaded to a usable desktop faster!

I'm not sure what to think honestly. This SSD seems so fast for some tasks, but sub-par for others. I had a 120GB Vertex drive for a short period (sold it after a few weeks due to being too small) and that drive honestly "felt" quicker.

Does anyone else have this drive installed in their MBP w/ snow leopard yet?

22. adamk77 thread starter macrumors 6502

Spike, that sounds very reasonable. I read that somewhere else as well. I've been wondering about the best time to start measuring the boot up time. Maybe it's after I hear the "chime" audio and as soon as I start seeing the activity indicator that I should start the timer. I still have my leopard installation on my old HDD, so I'm going to try to time it from when I see the spinning disk.

Thunder, I'm sorry to hear that. I am ecstatic about my purchase. I don't place much importance on the boot time. And I'm satisfied with my boot time (and as stated above, maybe I'm measuring it wrong).

I have the video of boot time and application load time of applications on my old hard drive. It's a drastic difference. My experience has been a dramatic one.

I think you may be in a different boat. You've already had a SSD. And you are right that some tasks may have been faster on the Vertex. The reviews confirm this as well. But overall, the Intel excels in most practical use. I believe the Vertex has faster write speed, whereas the Intel is capped at around 80 MB/s. The area the Intel excels at is the random reads/writes, which I hear is comprises of around 80% of what the operating system does.

23. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

the vertex is faster at sequential writes....which make zero difference...intel is way faster in random writes...which make a huge difference.

vertex is no match for the intel.

i have owned both....the intel is far superior

24. adamk77 thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree as well.

I just measured my boot up time again for both my HDD and my SSD. But this time, I started the timer as soon as I saw the spinning activity indicator. I figure that this is when the operating system actually starts performing disk IO operations.

Regular HDD: 41 seconds
    Intel X25-M: 12 seconds