Video of SWAT raid for a bag of pot.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by chrmjenkins, May 6, 2010.

1. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

http://reason.com/blog/2010/05/05/video-of-swat-raid-on-missouri

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbwSwvUaRqc

This is just disgusting. If nothing else, what a gross waste of public funds.

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Those cops ought to be hung from their ****ing balls.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I can't even watch the video. The comments were enough to deter me.

Shooting dogs just because they're barking at you?

At least the raid and all the devastation it caused saved America from the scourge of that baggie of pot. :rolleyes:

6. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    What stinking BS is that. I bet every one of the scumbags involved get off with that scott-free. Disgusting.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

The SWAT team did nothing wrong and follows their orders/ procedures correctly.

The mistake was made by the upper administration for sending in SWAT in the first place on that raid.
    SWAT is a very blunt and power weapon and they are not meant to be used for basic things like that warrant raid. SWAT is general only called when things get bad or they need a powerful raiding force.

For that little raid swat should not of been used on it.
    Why should the cops on the SWAT team be punished for following orders and procedures. The real fault is the upper administration that ordered it in the first place.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Oh, don't worry, they will. I bet most of the people in this state are proud of Columbia's Finest for getting a bag of weed off the streets. :rolleyes:

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Is shooting the dog part of procedures? :rolleyes:

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Remember SWAT is a no mess around team. Considering the dog was a pit bull which is consider a very aggressive and dangerous breed it was view as a threat. The other one not so sure but barking dogs that either look like they may be attacking are treated as such.

It still comes down to the fact that a SWAT hit was ordered in the first place.

12. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

First off, I agree with most of you here. That seems crazy for just a tiny bag along with the fact that a child was present and the dog was killed.

It's my understanding from some articles I read yesterday that the intelligence they had thought he had a lot more than a small bag. They also did not believe his wife or child was at home. I also read that SWAT serves these type of warrants because there are often weapons on the premises.

It's also terribly unclear from the video what stance the dogs were taking. I doubt they would have shot a cat or a bird but dogs can be quite powerful. In hindsight, dumb thing to do, but I would guess that what they did was protocol.

The man also had prior offenses for drugs from what I read. Not sure if they were large or small scale.

I wish the raid hadn't happened and hindsight certainly looks like excessive use of force. But I think the fault lies in the intelligence gathered prior and not necessarily of the actions taken during.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The other dog was a corgi.

[​IMG]

If you're threatened by that, you have no business being a police officer, much less being on the SWAT team.

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I see what you mean, and they have to be prepared for anything. But at some point they seem to be unable to use their own eyes and actually see what they're doing.

The situation is very sad. I just wonder who was ordering the raids in the first place.

15. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Here's another picture of a Corgi...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/heygabe/1863586712/

Although comically in a lobster costume, I'd be scared of that dog too... and not only because he's in a lobster costume!

16. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

For context, I'm a liberal. I wear the label proudly. I'm actually very liberal. In addition, I have been a defense attorney, and I rarely, if ever, agree with the police and their tactics.

That being said, until we find out what was in the affidavit for search warrant, it is not appropriate to blame law enforcement for the lack of evidence found.

(edit) I have represented clients who could be the subject of similar search warrants where there would be a LOT less evidence. Clients who allegedly do bad things. :))

17. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

From what I been able to gather
    the pitbull was in a kennel (cage)
    the corgi was the loose one

and how the **** do you miss shooting to kill from couple feet away?
    if you are that piss poor shot maybe should not be on swat team

this was a piss poor warrant execution,
    the kid is way more ****ed up from watching men in uniforms storming his house and shooting his dogs , that from pot smoking parents.

18. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

Boo hoo hippies. +1 for the police doing their job and following operating procedures. :D

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Need more details probably, a dog could be a major distraction/danger in a drug case where many of the perps are packing guns of their own. This looked like a family residence though so it was a bit ****ed up for SWAT to be busting in like that.

If the dog was kenneled this was ****ing stupid.

20. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

We absolutely need to know who the source was, what information was provided, and whether that information should have been relied upon.

Hey ZA, we agree (at least in part).

21. unid macrumors regular

22. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Police have a great history of this

http://www.denverpost.com/nationworld/ci_5760758

An older story from nearby to me, when it goes very wrong.

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The part thats really telling is almost every one of those cops were charged with making false statements and the one with perjury. Hope they have a good time in prison :)

24. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

undefensible.

clear use of excessive force, and the whole SWAT team should be charge with endangerment of a child.

25. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Wow your one of those people arent you...