Video Out Port? Adding an External Monitor to 27" iMac i7?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Troll, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Troll, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011

Troll macrumors newbie

I have a 27" iMac i7 that I would like to hook up an external display to. The problem is, and maybe I just don't understand Macs enough, that I can't find a "video out" port.

This is what the back of my iMac looks like (the one on the right):
    [​IMG]

Audio in, USB, FireWire, Thunderbolt and Ethernet... No mini display port, no mini DVI, no VGA, nothing. I'm reading other forum posts about people doing this, but none mention how they did it! What am I missing?

2. Ben Simpsy macrumors newbie

the thunderbolt port acts as a mini display port

3. Troll thread starter macrumors newbie

So, you're saying that the Thunderbolt PORT accepts a Mini Display PLUG? Well no wonder this is a nightmare to search for. Thanks for your help.

4. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

You are correct. The Thunderbolt port will accept any Mini Displayport plug. Therefore, on a 27" iMac, you can connect not just one, but two displays simultaneously (effectively having 3 monitors), so long as you purchase 2 Mini Displayport adapters.

For cheaper (but still very high quality) Mini Displayport adapters than what Apple offers, look here. I have dealt with them many times, and they not only ship quickly, but also have great prices and pretty good customer service too.

5. Ben Simpsy macrumors newbie

it is also daisy chain-able. so you could run more than 3 displays theoretically. im happy to be corrected on that though, i have no experience with more than 2

6. bodhirayo macrumors newbie

bodhirayo

Many thanks!

Thanks for the link. Just purchased 2 adapters for my iMac.
    In gratitude,
    Bodhi [​IMG]