Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

russkn87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
Kent, UK
I'm using a iMac with Mojave 10.14, and I'm having issues with video playback.

After using the iMac to play back videos, whether that's online streaming/YouTube or Quicktime/VLC video files or even editing/playback in Final Cut Pro X - it stops after about 10 minutes of use meaning I can't watch any video AT ALL until a reboot.

I have to restart the machine to gain playback back again before it stops working again after 10 minutes.

For example, I'll open a Quicktime video file, and it won't play, just stuck on the first frame. I can skip through the videos and see the frames, but it's won't play. Even YouTube will say "Restart your computer if the problem persists". It's almost like the video hardware is freezing and needs a reboot.

Has anyone else had this issue with video playback on Mojave? It was perfectly fine on High Sierra.

InquiringMac

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2013
I'm using a iMac with Mojave 10.14, and I'm having issues with video playback.
Looks like we are the only "lucky" ones, @russkn87 , who experience this annoying issue...;)
I have :apple: Mac mini (late 2012), and observe a very similar behaviour: video playback freezes for a few seconds (regardless of what app is used), continues smoothly for about 8-10 minutes, and freezes again, continues, and so on.
Needless to say, it was perfectly fine under High Sierra (using the same apps and content)...
Any suggestions for us, dear experts? Please chime in!:)

russkn87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
Kent, UK
Looks like we are the only "lucky" ones, @russkn87 , who experience this annoying issue...;)
I have :apple: Mac mini (late 2012), and observe a very similar behaviour: video playback freezes for a few seconds (regardless of what app is used), continues smoothly for about 8-10 minutes, and freezes again, continues, and so on.
Needless to say, it was perfectly fine under High Sierra (using the same apps and content)...
Any suggestions for us, dear experts? Please chime in!:)

I fixed it! Check out the steps below that fixed it for me. Do you have any audio recording software on your Mac? It might not be the same issue but worth checking it out! My problem was actually caused by APowersoft Audio Recorder...

IF YOU'RE USING APOWERSOFT AUDIO RECORDER:
Go to “Finder”, then select “Go”->”Go to Folder”. Then enter “/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/Apowersoft Audio Device.driver” and click “Go”. Afterwards, please delete the “Apowersoft Audio Device.driver” folder, and restart your Mac. Then the Apowersoft Audio Device will be removed completely.

Turns out that I had Apowersoft installed on both Macs causing the issue, and it's now permanently fixed on both my Macs!

If you have another audio recording software installed, delete it and check for things related to it in "/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL"... then reboot.

Let me know if it works!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.