Video proof of 1.1.4's Safari superiority

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by grumbler, Feb 27, 2008.

1. grumbler macrumors member

Does 1.1.4 make Safari run better / faster?

To find out the answer, a nerd actually created a youtube video and ran an experiment. The nerd was me. I hope that you enjoy the movie and decide to update. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2spZIaBsRg

PS. Before you dismiss this as just another lame 'tube video by a noob, I'm rather proud of a few points:
    1. I used a tripod!
    2. I filmed with a Sony Handycam! (an HC-90)
    3. I edited in iMovie!
    4. Yes, I'm slightly ashamed for making a video about a 0.0.1 update

And since this is my first MacRumors post: Hi I'm grumbler, and it's nice to meet you.

2. bmb012 macrumors 6502

Definitely gotta give you points for the tripod, haha. But ya, good to see improvements in the phone's OS.

3. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (my iphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

you are a nerd! :) but so am i (along with lots of people here). nice job!

4. G4R2 macrumors 6502a

I really enjoyed both your post and your video. Well done!

5. meagain macrumors 68030

Excellent - I hope you keep doing videos. (PS - You may want to edit your title if you can cuz the 4 dropped off or something)

6. DaLurker macrumors 6502

Good job with the video! I wish iPhone browsing was faster... I find Safari is pretty slow sometimes, even on my MBP.

7. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Tripods are a good start. Now start working on lighting, and sound quality.

8. AMoeini macrumors member

AMoeini

Very Impressive, both the difference in the iPhone and in the video as well. Hats off to you, sir.

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

That was just OK for me...

(did I sound like Randy Jackson on American Idol?) and it probably would have been more "fluid" or would have "flowed" better if you would refer to the updates as one-one-three or one-one-four v. 1.1.3 and 1.1.4. Definitely, keep your day job and buy a better camera, and some good lighting. And remember, it's not so much about "your hand speed," but your ability to communicate with your camera, voice, hand and iPhone to negotiate and demonstrate the difference between 113 & 114. Good job, definitely "room for improvement!" :eek:

10. pedroistheman macrumors 6502

pedroistheman

this guy's voice kinda reminds me of the guy in apple's finger-tip videos...hahaha

11. legacyb4 macrumors 6502

Had the chance to play with someone's new 1.1.3 Touch; man, the Google Maps locator function is neat! I'm tempted to go straight just for that...

12. martinmartin macrumors 6502

With regards to the editing, can you FF in iMovie 08? I remember they took away slow motion and a few other basic functions but I notice you have some FF'ing in your video.

Cheers.

13. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

Funny... I don't remember him looking for opinions on his video creating skills. It was made to show version improvements, not to win an Oscar.

14. MotionxxUSxx macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

unfortunately I am getting the white screens on 1.1.4 again. This sucks.

15. Akitakoi macrumors regular

Akitakoi

Yea, mine does not work much better.:(
    And, it still smells the same.:mad:

16. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Eh, a little better but not by that much

I probably wouldn't have noticed a difference unless you all had brought it to my attention

17. grumbler thread starter macrumors member

ha, thanks for the encouraging comments!

The quality is pretty bad because I had planned on using Quicktime for my editing, but then I decided to use iMovie and had to do some otherwise unnecessary video conversions.

I used iMovie 6, not the 'new' version which is how I could ff through the slow bits.

18. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Funnier...

I don't recall you reading the Rules regarding "the goal of the forums...forum discussions about other aspects of Macs and for giving help to fellow users." I would hope this is viewed as Help or Constructive Criticism, designed to help "grumbler" to build upon his project, I'm sorry you may have misconstrued my intent, but it was for "grumbler's" benefit, and not yours. :eek:

19. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

Blah Blah Blah... He wasn't asking for your help or your criticism. You just offered your opinion on something completely off topic, and decided it was "helpful" on your own. If you were so concerned with his movie making abilities, try a private message next time, since it has no "helpful" relevance to his point. :eek:

20. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Oh my...

My first "Add to my IGNORE list!" "Poooof" I love this feature! :eek:

21. Stalfonzo macrumors newbie

???

Doenst it look like his screens go blank right at the end or am I missing the point of this? By the way mine still go blank except the one that I am currently on when I come back to Safari from another app.