Video Question from Newbie (QuickTime supports limited number of formats)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iTexasDude, Mar 8, 2011.

1. iTexasDude macrumors newbie

I am very new to the Mac. Just got an iMac 27 and I love it but I am confused about video. It seems to me that QuickTime only supports a very limited number of formats for video. Is this the case or am I missing something? I have found very little that the PC would not play. But the native output of my camcorder will not play on the Mac without conversion. I had to convert my videos for the ipad but kept the originals on the PC but now I cannot play the originals anywhere but the PC and I would like to phase the PC out eventually....

If I remember correctly QuickTIme wants MPG 4 format? Is that the only format? Is this a loss of video quality from other MPG formats? What about avi? Considering Final Cut Express, would this help in format conversion without loss of quality?

I would greatly appreciate any explaination I can get for the video issues with the Mac and QuickTime when coming from the PC....

Thanks!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Similar to video playback on Windows you need to install additional codecs. Install Perian and Flip4Mac.

3. iTexasDude thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting since I don't recall having to install anything to play most formats in windows media player. Does it just come with these sort of things already installed or did I miss it somehow? Windows played the native format of my camera right out of the box. Sorry for not saying what that format is but I cannot remember and I am not at home now to check what it is.....

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I have no idea. It's been over 10 years since I had a Windows machine. And even then I built it myself so had to install lots of codec packs...

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Given that just about everyone installs Perian etc, why don't Apple just make Quicktime able to play anything?

6. iTexasDude thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I installed Perian and Filp4Mac and did not help for my native format of my video camera. BOUGHT the apple MPEG-2 codec and then it would play the movies but without sound. Found a free app that would convert the videos to .mov and those work but I would like to play the native format.

Is there a way to make Quicktime play these and include sound?