Video Shows Arizona Cop Using Car to Ram Armed Suspect

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Apr 15, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/arizona-cop-used-car-ram-armed-suspect-video-shows-n341636

PLAY stupid games/win stupid prizes.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Considering the guy had already fired his gun I don't see a problem with this. I'd rather see them ram him with the car than have the cops start shooting and risk a stray bullet hitting an innocent bystander.

3. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Jeebus!

"Hey, I'm going to walk down the street threateningly, while randomly firing a stolen rifle - what you gonna do about ... ?"

"I guess see how a 4000lbs cop car at 40MPH does in a person vs. vehicle scenario ..."

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, I don't see a problem with it.

5. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

You don't see a problem? I do. I'm no car guy so I'm not sure, but the brake fluid might be low on that squad car. Someone needs to have a word with the maintenance guys.:p

6. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I do, cops are so bad at aiming that they can't even hit center mass using a car? wow.

:p

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Sensible call from the police. This is how it should be done.

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Ditto. The guy was armed, holding, and had just fired a shot. He represented a direct threat. They did what they needed to do, and did it intelligently.

9. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Wait wait where is lostgnone when there is actual a need to defend this guys 2A right ??

10. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

felons don't have 2A rights :rolleyes:

11. citizenzen Suspended

I can't endorse running a car straight into a guy under anything but extreme circumstances.

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

This is a clear case of anything goes. GTA Mode activate.

The suspect was an absolute threat to them and anyone that crossed his path.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I agree

The guy had already fired a shot, so I'd say it falls under extreme circumstances.

14. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Something similar happened in my neck of the woods a few years back. It was all over the news, and the officer doing the ramming ended up not only losing his job, but getting charged for assault. Mainly because after he hit him, he jumped out and proceeded to beat the everliving hell out of the guy.

The difference was that guy wasn't armed. He was just running. This guy had held up a 7-11, had a rifle out looking ready for action, pointed it at a cop, and had fired a shot in the air. He represented a direct and obvious threat both to the police, and the public.

15. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

There should not even be a debate on this one.

----------

After looking at the video again, I think the Cop purposely did not hit him dean on. Considering the guy did not die, this was a nice takedown.

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

So the suspect is walking down the street, why damage the car like that? Just shoot him in the back... None of this "Stop or I'll shoot!" BS. :confused:

Let's get real efficient, if you discharge a gun under suspicious circumstances send out the execution squad. We'll save millions in court costs.

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Because shooting from a moving car carries the risk of accidentally missing and hitting an innocent bystander. Plus he is more likely to survive a hit by the car than a gunshot.

18. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

The officer did not intend to kill, which is why he hit the suspect with the corner(rather than center) of the car. The officer took him down without endangering himself, bystanders, or other officers. In most scenarios, this is perfect.

However, what if there was a small child behind that mini wall? The officer's radio does not confirm(at least from the video) that he communicated with the officers approaching from the front to conclude his assumption.

I think this, therefore, is a wild and inappropriate way to subdue a suspect.

19. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

As the suspect was not actively resisting police, this can easily be considered excessive force.

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

What should they have done then? The suspect had a gun and had fired it. Should they have put themselves in danger of being shot, or should they have let him go and risk him shooting other people?

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I don't think it was excessive at all, but it might be considered reckless. What if someone was behind that brick wall?

22. citizenzen Suspended

They should have done what police are normally trained to do when trying to apprehend an armed man. I am not a trained LEO, so I don't know what that entails exactly, but I doubt ramming your car into them is a normal, acceptable tactic. I suspect that one normally calls for back up, surrounds the suspect and asks them to give up peacefully. IMO, that is preferable to just ramming the guy with a car.

23. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Given the information that the article provides (which is very little- did the police try and stop him before, is this their first interaction, etc) I think the use of force was acceptable.

1) He held up a convenience store
    2) Set a church on fire
    3) Broke into a house
    4) Stole a car
    5) Stole a gun/ammo
    6) Threatened the Walmart employee & damaged property
    7) Was firing shots off into air in front of police (let's not forget that is also dangerous for where ever the bullet lands)

Clearly this man was on a rampage. It is evident anyone in the vicinity was endangered by this man. I suspect he was well aware the police were after him (thus the warning shorts). He could have put down the gun but did not. After that you've accepted the invitation to lethal force.

I think the cops did the right thing swiftly subduing him, especially considering he was in a populated area. I agree with the concerns about the lack of communication (at least with that one cop's radio) and the danger of someone being behind the wall (again, we don't know if that was communicated to the cop that rammed the guy).

The guy survived the hit which also is a favorable outcome (and was hospitalized for two days, which likely means nothing too serious). No one else was injured by the suspect or the cops. All in all a very dangerous situation was quickly shut down.

24. citizenzen Suspended

It doesn't measure up to my imagined standard of how a suspect is detained.

But I can recalibrate my imagination.

25. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

That officer just pulled a.... LEEEEEROYYYYYY JEEEENKINS!!!!!

Also when did the police start using GTA as a training aid? :D