Video Shows Cop Stealing Man's Money, Then Pepper Spraying Him

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Oct 9, 2014.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Another day, another bad cop.

http://gothamist.com/2014/10/09/cop_steals_money_pepper.php

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Welcome to the Police State.

Attached Files:

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

NYPD is one of the most corrupt police forces in this country. They definitely give the LAPD a run for their money.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/nypd-cops-caught-video-punching-pistol-whipping-teen

4. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I was under the impression that New York, New York was the bastion of culture. That all the people in that liberal mecca were civilized. Could we be mistaken? Of course, since citizens are not allowed to be armed in the city, I guess they are helpless to do anything about it.

5. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Yes, I'm sure if the guy had a gun on him that would have prevented the cop from robbing him. :rolleyes: Are you speaking from experience? Is this how yawl southern good ole boys deal with corrupt cops down south?

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Just so we are clear you are advocating that shooting the police officer in this case would be the most appropriate response.

7. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

No, you are mistaken. I have never advocated shooting at police. However, in most states self defense is allowed. From the number of stories that I'm seeing on here, it looks like New York, New York has went into a lawless chaos led by the officers. This forum makes it seem completely unsafe to even venture out in New York.

Where are we going and what is this hand basket for?

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If the guy isn't going to shoot the police officer for robbing him how exactly is a gun going to help in any way whatsoever?

9. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

My mistake, everyone just avoid New York. The police are all corrupt and will rob you, rape you, maybe murder you. Do not go to New York. Any other cities we should add to the run from list? Are there any police officers that we don't have to worry about hurting you?

What percentage of the New York (City) Police Department do you think are corrupt and out to hurt people?

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Do you have anything to add that isn't smug disingenuous crap? You've posted three times with sarcasm that shows you clearly don't believe what you say, so what is the point?

Back on topic, I've been amazed by the number of times I see in police stops the suspicion that cops have when people have more than $100 in their wallets. Having $$$ is means for suspicion, unless of course you're pulled over in a limo (but who gets pulled over in limos?;))

11. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Well if the money was taken, lets hope the officer is identified and filed on. Sad day when one sees stuff like this.

12. zin Suspended

New York City has a lower violent crime rate than Houston, Texas; Anchorage, Alaska; and Memphis, Tennessee, just to name a few.

Atlanta, Georgia, your home state, has a violent crime rate that is more than double that of New York City.

You could be partisan and turn this political all you want but nobody has ever claimed that NYC is exempt from crime and police corruption just because it is very liberal. But if you do want to make it political, blue/Democratic states on the whole are wealthier, healthier, and more educated than those in red/GOP states, which are facts proven by data.

13. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Hence the reason that I live in Monroe, GA. Police Chief Keith Glass and Sheriff Joe Chapman would put a boot into the tail end of any officer or deputy that tried this crap but of course, we are down here in the boonies.

14. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

For such a liberal city, they sure elect their fair share of Republican mayors.

15. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

If there was some "middle ground" party, New Yorkers would vote for that party every time. NYC as a whole is not as liberal as many like to think.

16. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

There's always "The Rent is too Damn High Party"

17. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

why did he just not take it and accuse him of drug trafficking that method legal.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm still convinced that guy was really a performance artist critiquing the American political sphere with satire....but I know better. :(

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

paperwork & he would have had to turn the money in instead of pocketing it.

20. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

So true but it would be legal

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

cop didn't care about "legal" , just wanted free money.

22. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

then you have this guy
    BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (AP) - A former Connecticut state trooper was sentenced Friday to a year in prison for stealing $3,700 in cash and a gold crucifix from a dying accident victim.

Aaron Huntsman, 45, apologized at his sentencing hearing and said he wasn't the same man he was at the time of the 2012 accident, the Connecticut Post (http://bit.ly/1tMiwHX ) reported.

"I'm truly sorry for everything, I never realized a simple gold crucifix could cause so much hurt," Huntsman told Judge Robert Devlin. Devlin told Huntsman that he should have been the one person at the crash scene who could have been trusted.

"You threw that trust out the window," he said. The judge sentenced Huntsman to five years, suspended after one year and followed by three years of probation.

Huntsman's attorney, Ryan McGuigan, said alcoholism was to blame for the 18-year police veteran's lapse in judgment.

23. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The dude in that mural looks a lot like Jack Nicholson. I wonder of that was deliberate?

24. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

It is one thing to bemoan the actions of clearly corrupt or unnecessarily violent police officers, but we all should be careful about spreading negative stereotypes about the police. Civilians can hardly call foul when the police act as though it is us-vs-them when they are hostile and prejudiced against the police.

it works both ways. Was the cop who took the money (can't be sure if it is evidence or not from the video) out of line? It seems so. But is the situation helped by posting negative caricatures and comments about the police? Not really.