Video Shows Texas Police Officer Pepper-Spraying, Motorcycle Riders

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Mar 16, 2016.

1. jkcerda, Mar 16, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016

jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

that guy needs to be behind bars.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/16/u...pper-spraying-motorcycle-riders-say.html?_r=1

2. vrDrew macrumors 65816

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. He should be fired.

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

5. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

But it's Texas so nothing may happen or they will nail him good. He should have shot at them less of a penalty

6. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

In Texas the citizens can shoot back ;)

8. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Assault and battery.

9. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

at cops? that gets you the death penalty.

10. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Any accident with a motorcycle has serious potential to cause death and Police know this. I really don't see how this could be anything less than 2nd degree attempt of murder.

You can shoot cops in Texas?

11. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

12. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

What accident?

13. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

That is why I said attempt. If I throw someone in front of a moving car and the driver is able to brake in time to avoid the collision, would that not be attempt of murder?

14. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Doesn't stick though.

15. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

not to a cop, no.

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    It'd be 2nd degree manslaughter, straight up.

17. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

He'll get slapped with a misdemeanor and ride off to some small town where no one cares.

18. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Inexcusable and extremely dangerous behavior on the part of the cop. Next time he should lay down a spike strip or just shove a rider off their bike.

I'm not justifying the cop's action, more so stating my dislike of motorcycle street racing... they're probably not as "innocent" as they're made out to be. Afterall the article did say the cops were called due to motorcycle racing.

The West Side Highway and I-95 in NYC is frequently a place of motorcycle street races, weaving in and out of traffic at high speeds with license plates removed. At this point the police has given up and has been instructed let them do it. Attempting to pull them over is usually unfruitful and creates bigger risk. I don't know how you solve the problem, but it's certainly very annoying.

19. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

I can live with that or JK's suggestion.

20. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

If he can get rehired.

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

As a rider, stuff like this pisses me off. Just one of the reasons I turn down invitations to ride in large groups. Attracts too much unwanted and bias attention.

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Well, yes. All lives do matter.

But the reality is that some groups of people are more at risk from discriminatory and/or abusive treatment at the hands of law enforcement.

Some groups of people are at risk for police harassment. And in this instance it was a group of motorcyclists. And I'm quite sure many bikers will tell you of being followed and hassled by cops. (Interestingly enough, the type of motorcycle you ride can earn you extra attention, depending on the jurisdiction. Here in SE Wisconsin sport bike riders get pulled over all the time - often by the same cops who blithely ignore wide-open pipes on Harleys.)

A middle-aged white person, living in an upper-middle class suburb, and driving a late model car is extremely unlikely to be the victim of police harassment. They aren't going to be pulled over because they "look out of place." And if they do get stopped for speeding, they aren't going to have the cop ask if they can look for weapons in the trunk.

Expecting those people who cannot imagine being the victims of police harassment or violence to stand up and protest of their own accord misconduct towards other people (ie. black young men, or motorcycle riders) is perhaps unrealistic. That's what Black Lives Matter is trying to do. By publicly bringing to attention the deaths of unarmed or innocent black people at the hands of police, they are hoping that at least some people outside the African-American community will see the injustice, and join them. Maybe bikers (perhaps seeing evidence of harassment towards their group) will be the first to join them.

23. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

In my opinion it will do the opposite, bikers will not join a racist group like black lives matter. As soon as someone tells me to check my privilege like what BLM does, I don't care about your cause. If Black lives mattered so much OBAMA would tell the black community to stop killing each other and take personal responsibility.

24. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Many years ago we responded to UC Berkeley on a mutual aid for demonstrations turning violent. As our caravan of cars packed with cops drove down the street to the campus gate both sides were lined with Hell's Angels parked backed to the curb. Rumor has it someone leaved out of one of the car's window unleashing a Mace fogger at them. That's messed up.