Video Suite budget reduced from weeks to days, so what to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Charlie Croker, Feb 23, 2010.

  1. Charlie Croker macrumors member

    Charlie Croker

    Jan 7, 2010
    Like most, I have been waiting for the Mac Pro range update. I am professional video editor, After Effects user and soon-to-be 3D animator, so the speed of the machine has very important ramifications at work.

    We are looking to move from a PC based environment to a Mac but have been disappointed by the wait for a refresh. The temptation to stick with PC is growing by the day.

    Until this week, I was happy to continue waiting but have just been told that the available budget for new gear is no longer ring-fenced and will get used for other things unless I make a purchase. I was also at the Broadcast Video Expo in London - I have some colleagues who have been working in the Apple reseller market for more than a decade and they are not very confident of machine updates as they believe the focus will be kept on the iPad at least until June.

    Thus I am left with the unpleasant business of either purchasing a Mac Pro based on last year's technology, an iMac with limited upgrade options and accessory possibilities or sticking with PC systems. Unlike many Mac and PC users, I have no particular bias as I have successfully worked on both systems and have had very few problems in the Windows environment, so OSX holds no power over my decision, though the lack of a registry certainly helps matters and the addition of Final Cut Studio helps make the choice easier, but then the Blu-Ray (which I need at work) output options swing things back the other way. Yes you can use a Mac for Blu-Ray but it isn't particularly good at more complex disc authoring because the software just isn't there yet and Adobe software tends to be more stable in a Windows environment. Sonic Scenarist would be the ideal solution for Blu-Ray design but is PC only and has issues in Windows emulation on a Mac, such as not being able to use reference files for video from FCP.

    So, all very difficult when time becomes an issue as well. Any ideas? Back to CS4 and Premiere?
  2. Igantius macrumors 65816

    Apr 29, 2007
    If you’re in a hurry to buy but not happy with the Mac alternatives and seem to have no problem with what’s available with Window-based solutions then I think you’ve answered your own question – particularly as no reason is given why your company was looking to move away from being Windows-based.

    Re: your colleagues’ comments, even if they’re resellers, it's just opinion – no one knows for sure.
  3. Hellhammer Moderator


    Staff Member

    Dec 10, 2008
    If you're fine with PC and Windows, get one. You get much faster computer by building a nice PC than buying a Mac Pro. I would still wait till mid March (16th of March precisely) as Gulftown will be released then (the new 6-core CPU) and then grab one of those if you're budget allows. I think you can convince your boss or whoever is deciding where the money goes to wait till then as Gulftown will be a great boost.

Share This Page