[VIDEO] Trump's Speech in West VA

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Aug 4, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

At around the 5 min mark, his rhetoric becomes (to be "nice") emboldened.

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Don't see what's wrong with it, if he knows he's innocent he should be hammering the left. If the left doesn't have evidence they are building a lot of rope to hang themselves with, no one is just going to let this pass if it turns out Russia wasn't colluding with Trump.

It also potentially ruins the Democrats chance at election in 3 years unless they can provide the dirt.

3. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Except it's not just the Democrats. The lady doth protest too much.

4. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I just watched the video report on MSNBC of Trump's West Virginia rallies, where West Virginians were interviewed about how they feel about Donald Trump. While there were some smart ones, mostly I'm embarrassed these people represent a significant portion of both mine and my wife's heritage. However, I will say virtually everyone in my immediate family was smart enough to leave to leave in the 1950's to seek economic opportunity.

It is a clear signal that some percentage of West Virginians feel discouraged, disconnected, and marginalized. It can be debated if society/government has the ability to fix the problems of a region with one of its primary economic engines in decline. And of note, this region is not unique in that regard (rust belt). I think there are things that can be done like training or corporate tax incentives , but I think we agree that government can effect, but does not run the economy, nor have the fiscal ability, (no one wants to pay taxes right?) to economically remake an entire region over night.

However, I can easily question the intelligence of a group of people who rely on a lying conman to fix their problems versus con them. All it takes is observing Donald Trump and watching The Music Man and Elmer Gantry. ;) I realize there is a psychology aspect to this support, but my God people, pick someone who really cares for you, is not playing you.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I'm sure calling them idiots will bring them around to your side. Seriously, Hillary and the left **** on these people and expect their votes?

6. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

How is it that the people at this rally are excited when they hear Drain the Swamp but fail to understand that Trump has contributed to the swamp with his appointments? That so far - he's bragging more about success with big businesses than the forgotten men and women. I'm not excusing Hillary's comments. But the election is over. Trump needs to move on.

7. Huntn, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

How so, because they, Hillary and the Left did not make ******** pie in the sky promises to earn their votes? Trump: I'm saving you by bringing back coal! ...as he glances to his side and winks at Jeff Sessions. :oops:

As far as calling them idiots I did not, but if they expect to be treated as rational adults, their choices can rightfully be critiqued and they can be adult enough to take it. Regardless of what is said, at some point they will realize they were taken for a ride and can critique themselves.

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Most recent job report was released today, looks pretty good. They just need jobs not necessarily coal.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Jobs growth has been good since early 2009...

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Doesn't really matter, if the economy is on the upwards trend it's going to help Trump.

11. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Think of it this way, does Hillary need to be excused for basically telling coal workers, coal is dead? The truth does not have to be excused. Sure she could have, should have sugar coated it for them. :rolleyes: She did tell them she would support education and incentives for the region, but they were in no mood for a dose of reality. Better to have given them a Trump sugar pill and describe it as a magical economic elixir. :oops:
    --- Post Merged, Aug 4, 2017 ---
    The job report, reports jobs period, does not distinguish good paying vs junk jobs. My grandson just got a job at McDonalds, he's golden! :rolleyes: Fortunately he's still in high school. ;)

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If he was a normal president. Sure. But normal presidents don't have a strong disapproval rating of 48%.

13. Zenithal macrumors 603

Also doesn't distinguish part time vs full time at that. During the Obama Administration, the Libs touted the jobs report which bettered with each fiscal quarter. Some on my side would often argue it was bull because of the reasons you pointed out and mine. It wasn't good during the Obama Administration, but the upward trend in jobs per fiscal quarter under Trump is good?

Bull. Give me a break. Can't have it both ways. I especially liked the "innocent" bit. Serial killers also say they're innocent right before they're injected with drugs to stop their heart.

Where's my Kitkat?

14. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

3 Aug 2017- Trump 61% disapproval rating.

15. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

16. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yeah I'm ignoring the people who merely disapprove of Trump. They can be turned.

18. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

remember trump himself admits the economy is better under democrats.

19. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

I know right, because months of investigation and calling in a grand jury is all for show. I only wish Trump acted like someone who is innocent, except he's not, he does the complete opposite. Of course many turn the blind eye and see nothing wrong it, when it's clearly obvious, but people will pick sides anyway. If the investigation were to end tomorrow and Trump comes out and admits to the whole Russia thing, he won't lose support, the sheep will follow their Messiah regardless.

20. mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

What the heck does this have to do with "the left?"
    --- Post Merged, Aug 4, 2017 ---
    It's mainly "the right" that is trying to take away their health care and other aspects of their safety net. Do you really think that Trump cares about the people in that crowd, people he would never have associated with in his previous life, the very type of people who he has tried to cheat his whole career?

21. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Are his followers who persist deplorable or just lost? I'd say many are just lost but some are cynical. It's the cynical ones I'd call deplorable since they're the ones figuring a tax cut is still possible and Trump's the guy to make it happen for them. I don't see why Pence couldn't do that lol.

I wish the followers who are lost sheep would at least be honest about how Trump is not acting in their interests or those of the USA in the meantime. Their support for the indefensible only prolongs this country's having to tolerate an extremely dysfunctional administration.

No clue how investigation will end, of course. How Trump would choose to leave if the findings are troublesome for him is debatable and detail-dependent. I mean if he or his familiy needed a pardon from Pence, then there could be a reason for him to leave in a dignified way. Whether the guy is capable of that is a good question. He's a paradox of self-serving and self-destructive behaviors. If he's likely to face criminal prosecution later as a private citizen, that's a good enough reason for him to fight like hell to stay in office, if only to delay such proceedings.

22. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Political discussion is nice and all, but I think we're failing to address the most important issue here: what is Trump drawing in the air?

drawin.gif

23. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Nice - did you make that?

24. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Indeed. Note the immobile right half of the crowd—the product of a shoddy image compression trick.

25. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Well done. But hard to tell with this audience. Many times they do look at him in awe without moving a muscle. ;)