Videos and how Macs/iPads/iPhones deal with them (I don't get it)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cupalup, May 30, 2010.

1. cupalup macrumors newbie

Photos go in iPhoto.

Music goes in iTunes.

Videos go in iTunes. No wait. I mean iPhoto. Hang on. They should go in the 'Movies' folder. WHERE DO THEY GO?!

I've just done a video on my Canon stills camera and it imported into iPhoto. But the video doesn't then appear to sync with my iPad. So I found the file in Finder and dragged it into iTunes. Problem there is that it isn't really a Movie or a TV show - I don't want a short clip of my cat in amongst feature films.

So how do you arrange/sync personal videos?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why the hell not????!!! ;)

I keep backups of movies on an external hard drive and just transfer the one I want to watch when I need it (or just watch it off the external).

3. cupalup thread starter macrumors newbie

That wouldn't work on the iPad, obviously.

This is one thing Apple have got very wrong.

4. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I agree with what you're saying, from a different perspective though.

To me, it was...

Photos go in iPhoto.

Music goes in iTunes.

Photos go in iTunes, however, when you want to sync them to an iPod. Uh, OK.

TV shows go in iTunes... OK.

Movies go in iTunes.

Videos go in iTunes.

Calendars, contacts, podcasts, audiobooks go in iTunes when you want to sync them to an iPod or other iDevice. OK, getting confusing...

Apps go in iTunes.

Files required to be transferred by apps go in iTunes.

Everything's going into iTunes! It shouldn't even be called iTunes anymore, with it being the central clearinghouse for all kinds of data apart from "tunes". It started with the iPod Photo, because they needed the ability for an iPod to grab photos from iPhoto so they grafted that function into iTunes. And devices like the iPhone, iPod touch, well, they're still iPods at heart, so... and now the iPad, well, everyone's already used to using iTunes, so may as well...

See how we're going down a messy road now!