Videos can't even show how crisp the retina display will be

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macguy360, Mar 8, 2012.

1. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

The interesting thing about this release of the iPad is that this is the first time in the history of Apple "computer" releases (not counting iphone) where videos cannot show how crisp the image will be. This is because even by watching a 1080p video on a website that shows hands on of the ipad 3, you are still watching it through YOUR personal device which is not as high of resolution as the device itself. That means that device will only appear to be as crisp as your device will display the video. That is remarkable to think about. I think this is the main reason why more people haven't yet preordered and caused preorders to sell out. Its just that there is no way to actually experience what it looks like until you actually see it in person.

If you are really interested in what ppi means and the 264 number and how it compares to other devices, go look on wikipedia. They have an entire page that shows you all of the different ppi comparisons of tons of devices and even e-readers like the kindle.

The reason why e-readers always looked so crisp is because they were 160 ppi versus most computer screens and even the ipad 2 which were all 130 and lower.

This screen is going to be the closest thing to photorealistic that you have ever seen. I am really excited to see it in person.

There are other aspects that I am disappointed about (i.e. camera quality and hard drive size) but those have already been brought up and don't need further mentioning.

2. Nightprowler macrumors regular

It reminds me of when HD TVs first came out and forums were loaded with people taking digital pictures of their TVs and then posting them online for others to look at via their own varying monitors to show the "quality".

Needs to be seen to be believed is very much applicable here.

3. macguy360 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I dont think people realize. This time around the iPad might build up momentum after release when people actually get to see it. Then when shortages hit it could be something where they stay sold out for 6 months.

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

When people start getting their hands on these puppies and drooling over their shiny new retina displays, a lot of this noise will dissipate, and all you will hear is "this screen is AWESOME MAN!!!!".