Videos of iPad 9.7 vs 10.5 & Bluetooth 5

Discussion in 'iPad' started by elev8d, Jun 9, 2017.

1. elev8d macrumors 6502

Is there any comparison videos comparing the iPad Air 9.7 vs iPad Pro 10.5?

Also, is there a reason besides keeping costs down that Apple didn't upgrade from Bluetooth 4.2 to 5? I was really looking forward to having better range, lower latency, and better power consumption of Bluetooth 5. Is is because they are waiting to upgrade their Air Pods?

2. fokmik macrumors 65816

3. kognos macrumors member

We don't know anything about Airplay 2 yet, except that it might answer the question about multiple Airpods in future, but you still would need an underlying technology (Bluetooth).

Bluetooth 5 is a much needed upgrade. Airplay 2 does not answer this. Bluetooth enables devices to basically go farther, with more bandwidth, and less power consumption.

4. elev8d thread starter macrumors 6502

I think that's a software upgrade where BT5 requires a newer chipset.

5. Sparxxx macrumors regular

I have my Ipad Air 2 since day one and was looking forward to buy the 10.5" Pro on Monday.
    When I saw they didn't included Bluetooth 5 I decided not buy it anymore. It's such a pitty...

6. elev8d thread starter macrumors 6502

It wasn't a make/break feature for me honestly. I can't find a single product (headphones/speakers/etc) that supports BT5 yet. I'm just really looking forward to whenever it becomes more popular. My guess is it's still a year or two out from being popular. My main concern is that they don't include it in the iPhone 8. That would really irk me more than on the iPad since I would be using BT on it much more often at greater distances.

http://www.dialog-semiconductor.com...llest-most-flexible-lowest-power-chipset-date

BT5 should work through walls, which means I can walk around my whole home and not worry about losing signal if it's in a different room like I currently do with my headphones.

7. kognos macrumors member

Agree totally -- the real convergence is when AirPods support BT5, not when the devices do. But I kind of expect the next iphone/airpods to have BT5. It's not as important on iPad devices.

The timing is right anyway...

8. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

when the AirPods support it, otherwise why would Apple care right now?

9. gobikerider macrumors 65832

gobikerider

I'm sorry but if Bluetooth 5 turns you off from a device that seems so shallow because your neglecting all the other things that make the new iPads amazing. Bluetooth 5 wouldn't change your world tbh nothing sold supports it anyways and it wont make existing things better so really its useless rn

10. Sparxxx macrumors regular

Guys, a lot of bluetooth 5 devices, headphones will come out this year or begining of next year.
    When will Apple implement Bluetooth 5? Perhaps on next Ipad mid next yearz
    It means I have to AGAIAN upgrade the Ipad just to have Bluetooth 5.
    Sorry, for me the current 10.5 is not future proof.

11. elev8d thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I won't be upgrading my iPad 10.5 for BT5... but I might not pick up an iPhone 8 if it doesn't have BT5. That's a feature that scares me a little they might under perform on. My iPhone 6 is starting to fall apart too, bad bluetooth, GPS, and touch ID. :(