Viewing Footage in Color on Monitor

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by zephyrnoid, Feb 15, 2009.

1. zephyrnoid macrumors 6502

zephyrnoid

In Final Cut 6 I can see my image on my HD external monitor but when I import the footage into Color I can't. What happened?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

How specifically are you monitoring your footage?

Lethal

3. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Color is very picky about what it can use as a output.

4. zephyrnoid thread starter macrumors 6502

zephyrnoid

Been using this ...
    http://www.gearninja.com/ADS/MLCD_109.html
    Specs:

HD109A Specs:

Size: 10.9"
    Screen Architecture: WXGA (1366 x 768 Pixels)
    Contrast Ratio: 600:1
    Brightness: 250 cd/m^2
    Timing: 25ms full on/off
    HDCP: YES
    HDMI: 1 Input, Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i
    VGA: 1 Input, Support 640x480/800x600/1024x768/1280x720/1280x768/1280x1024/1366x768/1920x1080
    Component: 1 Input, Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i
    S-Video: 1 Input, Support 480i
    CVBS: 1 Input, Support 480i
    TV Tuner: 1 Input, NTSC, PAL
    Dimensions: 11.25" Wide, 8" High, 2" Deep
    Weight: 1.5 LBS
    Power: 12v DC, <20 Watts

connected to a MATROX MX02 via HDMI
    I set the parameters in the MATROX application and the FC footage displays fine, but not Color.
    I must admit that I'm a 'deep ender' I haven't used color till now and always dive in before reading the manual. Don't be angry, I do it like this for a good reason.
    Thanks for your input.

5. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

did you set the output in the setup "room"? it's the tab on the furthest left and you have to designate your output option.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I don't have an MXO 2, but my first suggestion is to read the manual and see if there are any specific settings for Color. My second suggestion is to read the Color manual because there are a plethora of things that can go wrong using Color as it is an incredibly finicky application. We have a technical guide at work outlining the post workflow for our TV show and three pages of the 13 page document are basically devoted to listing what makes Color sad and how to avoid it. I'm keeping all my fingers and toes crossed that Apple improves on this in the near future because it's ridiculous the amount of pitfalls you have to avoid.

Lethal

7. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Wouldn't the MXO use a desktop preview to work?

I know you can full screen one of the monitors but I don't think outputting the feed will work that way. It's greyed out for me.

8. zephyrnoid thread starter macrumors 6502

zephyrnoid

Lethal
    Not to sound snide or ungrateful- I did state that I NEVER first read manuals for a GOOD reason. After my good reason is over, then I do read the manual . And no the good resason is NOT laziness or need to see others do my work for me. Whew!:)

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Hey, I never made any accusations or judgments I was just suggesting that reading the manual, especially for Color, sooner rather than later would a good idea because the program can be so problematic. :)

Lethal

10. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

If there's such a good reason for not reading the manual, then tell us what that reason is.

11. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

The manuals are usually boring and dry.

They keep referring to buttons and things by their proper names, so you have no idea what they are talking about.

I think your better learning stuff by just playing with it or buying a proper training book/DVD.

I only consult the manuals when I need to solve a specific issue, but most of the time the answers are not in there and just search on forums anyway.

It can't hurt to read them though.

12. zephyrnoid thread starter macrumors 6502

zephyrnoid

I'm a human factors professional- in order to judge the 'self-evidence' of software, I always dive in at first and use a combination of prior experience, dead reckoning and educated guessing to navigate the interfaces and functionality. After about an hour of this, it becomes easy to guess how self-evident the functionality of a UI actually is. I taught myself basic FCP without a manual at all. Color seems not as easy.
    I located the Setup "Room" in Color and in Video Output > Disabled is checked and when I invoke the drop-down to select from the various MX02 options, all other options are 'grayed out' and un-selectable.
    I snuck a peak at the manual and it has not been helpful except to state what the monitor resolution requirements for Color are.

13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What type of footage (codec, frame rate, etc.,) are you sending from FCP to Color?

Lethal

14. zephyrnoid thread starter macrumors 6502

zephyrnoid

Lethal. I've tried several but non had any effect enabling the disabled "Video Output" options. To make matters worse, whereas I was formerly able to view my footage on FCP on this external monitor that's plugged into the MXO2. I now get no display there at all. What Happened? This is how Wintel stuff usually works, not Mac apps/products. I trouble shot the monitor and it's fine.
    Grrr!

15. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I don't know too much about that screen, but from the outset of reading the posts I THINK this may be the issue.

Color Requires:
    A display with 1680-by-1050 resolution or higher (excluding 20" iMac); dual displays are highly recommended.

The HDMI input may support 1080p, but the screen only has a 1366 x 768 resolution.

Please, correct me if I am wrong.... especially you Lethal Wolfe.

And yes, Color is a finicky SOB. The Studio 2 software in general upped the ante one what system you need to run certain applications.

16. zephyrnoid thread starter macrumors 6502

zephyrnoid

Yes indeed. I spotted that spec. req. for Color. Strange that Color should have a different Spec Req. than FCP:rolleyes:
    I also discovered that others may have run into some of the same issues as I have.
    http://reduser.net/forum/showpost.php?p=363562&postcount=83
    Not reading the manual allow me to make more mistakes, more quickly than the average Joe. It's more painful that way but it sure drives lessons learned into the 'noodle' :D

17. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Digital Skunk,
    I can't say for sure but I think the monitor requirements for Color refer to computer monitors not to monitors you have connected to a video I/O device.

zephyrnoid,
    I don't have any hands on experience w/the MXO 2 so I can't offer any specific things to check for, but an evergreen approach is to power cycle everything and create a new FCP project. A start from scratch approach because sometimes settings get inadvertently changed when we try to trouble shoot a problem. There are lots of things that have to go right for a video editing system to work properly which means there are lots of things that can go wrong.

Lethal

18. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Ah, had a feeling I was wrong. Thanks for clearing that up for us.