Vinyl palm and full inlaid covers for MBP - turn your MBP black or carbon fiber!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by demonsavatar, Jul 18, 2010.

1. demonsavatar macrumors regular

Saw these over on eBay. Oh how I long for a black macbook pro...

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Without in-laid keys

[​IMG][​IMG]
    With in-laid keys

Scroll down on the eBay page to see their carbon-fiber and silver versions, and varying degrees of coverage. Seems to have both 13" and 15" versions, didn't see 17".

They seem well-thought out, with cutouts for the speakers/mic.

Anyone try these and can speak towards their quality? Guy who sells them is from Malaysia...

Comparisons to Moshi Palmguard?

I love the black matte with inlaid keys. Not sure if my moshi clearguard will fit well with that on there though...

I just ordered a moshi palmguard...might return it if I hear good things about these. Now if only that guy sold a small overlay for the silver bezel on the Anti-glare MBPs...I sent him a request to do so, perhaps if he gets more requests he will do it :)

2. ihonda macrumors 68000

oh my this looks interesting.. i may have to purchase.

3. demonsavatar thread starter macrumors regular

Changed the thread title to just the vinyl covers since people may not have seen these.

I am quickly leaning towards returning my moshi palmguard order since these look awesome.

After looking into it the guy claims these are .212 mm thick. Moshi cleargaurd is 0.1 mm thick. I am thinking the cleargaurd won't fit properly if I get the inlaid key version of the vinyl cover :(

Hmm, not sure it will play well with the Speck satin black case I ordered either. The tabs on the speck might damage the vinyl, or lift it up a bit...

4. unamused macrumors 6502

not to be a negative nancy.... but im betting that these things will be a pain to install and look nice, especially around the keyboard area. Im not saying its impossible, but its not going to be easy to get everything lined up exactly. and if you are anything like me... it will annoy the heck out of you seeing all these silver gaps everywhere where the film didnt get applied well enough...

/of word of caution.

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I agree... The one with the inlaid keys will be nearly impossible to install.

6. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

The inlaid keys version will be an extreme PIA to apply. I currently have the carbon fiber skin on the top of my MBP, so looking at the version that goes around the keys. Guy has a very good rating, so even though it is out of Malaysia, should still be a legit and quality buy.

7. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Looks really nice, but I also think that applying it will be really hard...

8. demonsavatar thread starter macrumors regular

Well hopefully the tape trick can be made to apply here. Here is how it works with the moshi palmguard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-VGSEcHHyo

Would still be really tricky though.

Since I have a moshi cleargaurd and the antiglare screen, I think I might get the one without inlaid keys. I need to keep some silver to match the stupid bezel of the antiglare screen and I really do like the minor spill protection the keyboard overlay affords me.

As I said before, suggest to the guy to make an overlay for the AG screen bezel, maybe he will do it!

9. unamused macrumors 6502

that trick should work if you get the one without the inlaid keys assuming the material is cut accurately.

10. elleana macrumors regular

Not to threadcrap, but I find the brushed aluminum to be beautiful and wouldn't change it for anything else...

11. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

I don't know, It's probably super hard to install and it doesn't look that great imo

However that carbon fiber one on eBay looks pretty cool, a bit tooly thought, wouldn't buy them...

12. demonsavatar thread starter macrumors regular

The guy who sells those on eBay got back to me about the vinyl covers for the silver lining of the Antiglare screens.

If he gets enough messages he might do it again. Valid point about not knowing what to do with the large center pieces though..

13. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Looks like a nice guy, would you mind asking him how hard is to apply that vinyl?

14. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

Find out shortly....for $25 why not try it.

Bought a Matte Black, no key inlays.

Just takes time and patience to install.

15. demonsavatar thread starter macrumors regular

Please post pics and tell of your experience. Your review will likely make or break this product for the rest of us. Also you wouldn't happen to have a Speck case or a Moshi cleargaurd? Then you can test them together to see if they all play nice together...

16. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

I think I had a Speck case for my MB, thought it was crap...but my feeling is a proper protector should be seemless but this thing creaked, moved,etc.

Should be here in a few days.

17. 5erge macrumors newbie

There's a pretty simple way to installing intricate overlays like these:

Simply remove about 1/4 to 1/2 of the plastic underneath the vinyl that keeps the 'tacky' side from sticking to anything.

Place the 'covered' side down where you want to place it and align it as best you can and tape that side down so it doesn't move.

Now carefully place tacky side down as best as possible. When that's aligned an down, remove the tape holding down the other side, lift slowly and then remove the underside covering.

When you place it down, it should align perfectly.

That's how I've always applied protective coverings and screens to any gadget I've used them for.

Hope that helps. And yes I really, really, really want a black covering for my MBP silver bezel, too!

18. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Still looks wierd with the silver peeking out.

19. DarkCloudVapor macrumors newbie

DarkCloudVapor

Just Ordered Mine

I just ordered this from Citizen327 on ebay... I'll post my install so all us nay-sayers can have a peek at the quality. I also ordered a top vinyl to match from cretouch.com and will post when that's installed too. They had a cool vinyl that looked like leather, but I wanted it all to match...

20. demonsavatar thread starter macrumors regular

I have also ordered one. Should be here this week, sure takes long to get here though...I'll post pics once I get it.

The same guy has a top vinyl too, why not just get that one?

21. M-B-P macrumors regular

Anyone have pictures yet? I'm sure a lot of us have been waiting on reviews/pics before we purchase the item.

22. demonsavatar thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry about the lapse in communication, semester started up and have been busy using my MBP :p

Here are some pics though:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am very happy with the quality of the product. It is has a high precision cut . It is not completely smooth as I had thought though, it has a bit of texture on the surface. The version with inlaid keys would definitely be tough to install so I recommend the one I got, with the entire keyboard panel cut out.

23. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

nice.

reminds me of the old powerbook ti for some reason:

[​IMG]
    stripped from bid or buy

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

25. The Afroman macrumors regular

The Afroman

Same guy has the CF Lid cover or you can go with icarbon.com

They don't have the silly corners cutout.