Violence in another Mc Donalds almost kills customer

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by waloshin, Apr 23, 2011.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Almost certainly. McDonald's has an aversion to being sued. Remember last time?

Of course not. They aren't the local constabulary.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

In general, the staff at most retail and restaurant chains are taught to notify the authorities and not get involved. Violating this policy can and will get you fired at best, or killed at worst.

4. d4rkc4sm macrumors 6502

d4rkc4sm

5. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

And at what point in American society did helping a fellow human being in distress become less important that making 5 bucks an hour slinging burgers.

Seriously, if McD's fires you for doing the right thing I'm sure there is a BK nearby you can apply at.

IMHO the bystanders in this situation are just as guilty. Maybe Seinfield was onto something all those years ago.

6. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

But if no one called 911, they could be in violation of local laws that make it a crime to ignore a violent crime. Plus, those people in the video are clearly overweight. Certainly, McDonald's had a hand in that crime...

7. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Corporate policy is always going to put the safety of employees first, so that usually means not letting them get dragged into violent situations. However, I would like to think that McDonalds would also stand by and support an employee who made a common sense judgement to try and calm a situation like that. Having said that, they should also respect if the employees didn't feel comfortable stepping in. Like iJohnHenry says, they aren't the police, they work in a restaurant.

There seemed to be a lot of staff in the fringes of the video, I am sure they could have done something. Good on the manager and member of the public for trying to stop them. I guess having the video footage must also help. I'd rather not have my hair pulled out than get a good conviction though!

8. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Yes

Not for avoiding geting involved in a violent situation. As iJH said, they're not the law, and there's no way McDs could support some sort of 'employee vigilante' action.

They should get sacked for:
    - Unprofessional behaviour. Standing 'round laughing as someone gets kicked in the head isn't part of their job description
    - Aiding and assisting in a crime. Telling the perps that they'd better leave as the police are about to arrive isn't in their job description either.

9. ct2k7, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011

ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Staff should have intervened, and taken the victim to safety. This would have prevented the second episode, which lead to victim fitting.

Looks like serious professional failures there. There should have been someone who is first-aid trained there to deal with the casualty fitting.

I'd say that all present staff undergo mandatory retraining.

From McD:

We strongly condemn the videotaped assault in one of our Baltimore franchised restaurants.
    There's no room for violence under the Golden Arches.
    Appropriate action regarding other employees will take place as warranted.
    Action has been taken, and the crew member who made the video is no longer employed by this organization.
    First and foremost, our thoughts are with the victim during this time.
    The incident in Baltimore is sad and reprehensible. We are doing everything possible to make sure the right thing will be done.
    We are shocked by the video from a Baltimore restaurant showing an assault. This incident is unacceptable, disturbing and troubling.
    We are aware of the incident in Baltimore and are working with local police in their criminal investigation.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

[​IMG]

Shoot the messenger.

What of the laughing staff??

11. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

His commentary was laughing at the situation, I believe. It is also reported that they stole victim's personal items.

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Oh, thank you. I choose not to watch the vid.

So, good riddance, laughing arsehole.

13. ender land macrumors 6502a

The problem with situations like this is that it's not the ones which go right (ie the victim gets saved by employees) which dictate the policy, it's the ones which go bad and end up in a lawsuit or something similarly bad for the company which do.

14. Apple OC, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011

Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

was that a future episode of Jersey Shore ... I swear I saw that Snooki Trash chirping in?:cool:

I hardly consider that ... "nearly killing a customer"

15. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

If I worked there I would have stopped it. The employees there handled that situation the wrong way. They should have at least separated the people fighting. They didn't do anything besides saying stop. What is that going to do?

16. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

This was obviously a hate crime committed by a ghetto-licious duo, them gurls went ham, fo' realz, peace dogg

17. dreary macrumors regular

watching the vid made my eyes swell with tears :( i cant believe how cruel people can be. they should all be fired for not ending the crucification of that poor lgbt person. wat does it say of mankind when they not offer a helping hand to a person in turmoil and pain? so so sick

18. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Sadly, that's company policy. Had any of those people had a gun and an employee was shot or stabbed with a knife the company would have quite a lawsuit on their hands. If the employees intervened further they would likely have lost their jobs.

When I worked retail I was told I would be fired if I chased a shoplifter out of the store.

19. dreary macrumors regular

this isnt shop lifting, this is a human fighting for their dear life. getting paid 5 dollars an hr is not more important than a human life in my eyes..i bet if it wasnt a lgbt creature then people would of tried to block the savage teens from their cruel acts. :mad:

20. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

There's a followup here, the girl seems to be physically ok, just a little traumatised.

It's kind of sickening how her privacy is just thrown out of the window, the employee was fired for many many reasons, including the fact that they posted the video on youtube, linked it to their facebook and made many offensive comments before it was all taken down. Had this video not been made public the girl in question would have had some hope in retaining her privacy, but now she's scared to go outside for fear of being recognised and attacked again, possibly killed. In the United states a transgender person is murdered on average once a month, despite being a small and often invisible minority.

It really sickens me how badly handled this story has been by many, the baltimoresun being one of the few exceptions, fox news being one of the worst. They should be ashamed of themselves.

21. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

You Americans, you'll die overdosing cheeseburgers in McDonalds and use the cooking ovens as coffins

22. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

The good news is that when she fully recovers and hires a lawyer, she'll own a Baltimore McDonalds.

23. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

I just found that the person that was beat up was transgender and this was a hate crime. How come this is not all over the news? I guess hate crimes are okay now by black people but if a white person did this it would be the end of the world.

24. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

MSNBC was reporting this late last night. I think that part of the story just wasn't known right away and hopefully it will be part of the story now. If it was black on white or vice versa, it would have been obvious on the video, too, and you're right, the Easter riots would be in full effect by now.

25. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

They seemed pretty pissed off at her. I highly doubt they were beating her up like that simply because she's transgender. If they end up getting charged with a hate crime I'll lose a little more faith in humanity.