Virgin Mobile USA?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dwnss, Oct 6, 2011.

1. dwnss macrumors member

Is it possible to use the new Iphone 4S on virgin mobile usa if apple sells it unlocked? Their AU site has the 4S http://www.virginmobile.com.au/iphone

So I'm guessing it's possible? Because with Virgin mobile, it's $35 for unlimited text/data 300 minutes ( I don't use many minutes).. so much cheaper than any other carrier and worth purchasing the phone at unlocked price.

Please share your thoughts :)

P.S. Virgin uses Sprints towers in the usa

2. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

Interesting. Im sure it's possible.
    But I don't really know anything about Unlocked phones..so. :p

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You can use an unlocked iphone with any gsm carrier. You'll have an issue if virgin is cdma.

4. TXCraig, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011

TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

Virgin will not let you activate any phone you don't buy from them... unlocked or not! Nice try, we would all love their rate plans...

an PS... Sprint owns Virgin Mobile USA

5. dwnss thread starter macrumors member

What if it's purchased from their au site? could it work here in America?

6. dwnss thread starter macrumors member

7. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

Nope, not gonna work from buying anywhere. I know Canada sells it too on their VM site. I am a VM user as well and emailed them actually about the iPhone since Sprint's acquisition recently. The response I got back was that there is no way to activate phones on the beyond talk plans other than through VM USA's phones, and they said if the iPhone was ever going to be released, it wouldn't be this year. Not much to extrapolate from that, but it was worth a shot. I want the iPhone too!

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Is it unlocked? Does it use a sim card? Does Virgin usa use sim cards?
    If you can answer yes to all of the above, then yes. Otherwise, no.
    You know, if you actually took some time to research, you could find the answer yourself. :rolleyes:

9. bcr5460 macrumors newbie

Sprint bought virgin mobile so that's the service that virgin mobile is on. So people who use virgin mobile have the same service as sprint in the same available areas. Virgin mobile in Austrailia also has the iPhone 4s.

I think if you unlock/ by without an contract you can take the iPhone 4s with sprint and use it with virgin mobile because they are both coma. but i think also virgin mobile will eventually get an iPhone 4s by summer of 2012.

There's an iPhone 4s for sprint and sprint is coma so i don't get why it's not possible to get that phone and put it on virgin mobile.

10. Etan1000 macrumors regular

Etan1000

This is absolutely UNTRUE! We purchased two LG Optimus phones over the internet from Amazon. The purchases were made over a month apart. In each case, we had no trouble at all activating them with Virgin Mobile and have been using them that way ever since.

With the first purchase, I just did it automatically through their website. With the second purchase, we just called them up on the phone and a VirginMobile customer service rep activated it for us.

In each case, they also took care of transferring our existing phone numbers, one from Sprint and one from Verizon.

:):):)

11. JBazz macrumors 6502

No sim cards on VMUSA. And VMUSA has used the sprint network since they opened here, way before sprint bought them.

VMUSA uses specific software for their billing, no idea how anyone has been able to use a non VMUSA phone. Not saying it can't happen mind you, just saying it needs specific software for logging minutes and what not.

12. SoIsays macrumors regular

If your LG Optimus has a model # that starts with VM then it was a virgin mobile phone to begin with. I will end up marrying Elisha Cuthbert if your phone model # is anything else so please prove me wrong.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Well I will cross my fingers for you being wrong then. :D

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Virgin Mobile USA is not the same as Virgin Mobile AU. In other words, it's not going to work, even if you use a GSM unlocked device.

15. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Correct. They are the same in name only.

16. Etan1000 macrumors regular

Etan1000

Of course they were LG Optimus V (for Virgin Mobile) phones. I didn't say they weren't!

But TXCraig said:
    "Virgin will not let you activate any phone you don't buy from them... unlocked or not!"

and this is absolutely untrue. As I said, we did NOT buy the phones from them! We bought them from Amazon.

17. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

You're indirectly buying a Virgin Mobile USA branded phone, that was the point. The phone is sold through a third party to you, by Virgin Mobile.

18. ed1sport2 macrumors newbie

iphone virgin mobile usa

Dont worry about jail breaking iphones because the iphone is coming to virgin mobile in the usa 2nd quarter of 2012

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

And you are?
    The CEO of Virgin?

20. ninjaw95 macrumors 6502

what about Cricket, ive seen some stuff about CDMA i4 on cricket network :p

21. ed1sport2 macrumors newbie

no im not the ceo of virgin but a very good source, im in the biz

22. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Report it to Engadget so they can check it out? Otherwise you are totally unsubstantiated. Although, to be honest, I wouldn't be that shocked given that Sprint needs to meet their contract requirements for how many gazillion iPhones they signed up for. But it would really suck the network to hell in the areas that don't have NV.

23. SUPERMAN365247 macrumors newbie

Phones

YES U CAN FLASH OVER / JAILBREAK OR HOW EVER U WANNA SAY IT PRETTY MUCH ANY PHONE OUT THERE AND USE IT ON ANY NETWORK WEATHER ITS VIRGIN MOBILE, BOOST MOBILE, CRICKET, AT&T, SPRINT, T-MOBILE, VERIZION, SO TECTICLY U CAN BUY A IPHONE 4 OR 4S :apple: AND USE IT ON VIRGIN IF U WANTED 2

24. rogerbarrett macrumors regular

I'm sure that it is possible but doubtful for unlocked version :(