Virginia atheist couple: Court-appointed officiant told had no right to get married

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, May 30, 2014.

1. steve knight, May 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2014

steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I am tired of self self righteous Christians that think they own marriage or much of anything else. of course the judge agrees.
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/05/...ciant-told-us-we-had-no-right-to-get-married/

2. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

if the story is true, the guy should be stripped of his right to perform weddings for anyone, for good, as a minimum. Some legal trouble should also apply.
    what a disgrace of a man.

3. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

since the judge backed the guy up I doubt anything will happen.

4. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

Marriage predates Christianity; I see the official is using some sort of first-in, first-out filesystem in his head.

5. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

And why is a government employee performing religious ceremonies? I'm going to have to assume they have an official to represent every religion, right?

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

OMG Christians are so persecuted in this country. Those damn secular humanists have all the levers of power.

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I got married in Virginia by a civil celebrant. Neither God nor religion had anything to do with it. But that was Northern Virginia....