Virginia Beach municipal bldg mass shooting

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by chagla, May 31, 2019.

1. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

leaves 12 dead.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/may/31/virginia-beach-shooting-government-building

Just another ordinary day in American life.

2. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

Make one wonder if this is covered by "Workers compensation"?:eek:

3. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Tasteless jokes aside, this story describes the shooter as more-or-less a boyscout. He had recently been dismissed from the department – no information on why.

4. iTurbo macrumors 6502

Obviously a tragedy on an epic scale. I can't even begin to identify with that kind of thing that went through the guy's mind at all. I just can't at all.

Already we have candidates commenting on it without even knowing much other than headlines. They all seem to say the same thing....we need to legislate on this! What has that ever done, really?

5. BMcCoy macrumors 68000

BMcCoy

..Birth control?
    "BAN IT!"
    ..Abortion?
    "BAN IT!"
    ..Gay marriage?
    "BAN IT!"
    ..Guns?
    "Look, banning things never works. People will find ways to get them."

6. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

I don’t want to ban any of those???

7. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I heard on the BBC today that this is the 150 th Mass shooting in America this year. Its still the Wild west over there.

8. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

150 in 5 months? I’d like to say I’m shocked, but I'm not. A mass shooting a day is the norm now :(

Source here : https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

9. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Over 390 MILLION firearms in the U.S. and 150 mass shootings in five months. Statistically that is pretty low.

10. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

A shooting in the workplace is one of my biggest fears. I have all the emergency exits mapped out in my head and everything. I’d like to know more about the shooter.

11. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Read the link I posted above. He worked the until recently, was a person whose name appeared as the contact on messages from the department and was or had been in the National Guard.

12. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Meanwhile in Chicago....

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

here.
    ]..Birth control?
    how about YOU pay for your own.
    ..Abortion?
    conservatives just want common sense abortion control
    ..Gay marriage?
    "keep it out of the church

14. Huntn, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Thoughts and prayers as usual. :oops::(
    The streets, colleges, malls, movie theaters, and public buildings run red, yet some of us manage feeling safe with Precious in our lives. Sure, it only happens every so often, like every couple of weeks. :rolleyes::oops:
    --- Post Merged, Jun 1, 2019 ---
    Regulation with teeth and inconvenience for gun owners like regular, periodic mental screening are required to reduce gun violence or better yet ban guns in society, but we all know that’s not going to happen in the US.

I won’t be debating this, and stand by for the usual local gun lobby pushback.

15. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

NOT low enough if you're one of the people caught in those 150 mass shootings!

16. Cycom Suspended

Cycom

Shhhh! Don’t bring this up...an inconvenient truth for the irrational left.

17. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

I did a bit of checking on this subject this morning in response to a Quora question about US mass shootings, and the number is 148 since the beginning of 2019.

18. Cycom Suspended

Cycom

How many people died in those mass shootings?

19. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

This topic has been rocketing through Quora all day. The following is my response to one of those questions:

I did a quick check of the mass shooting numbers. Using the definition of a mass shooting being 4 or more people killed or wounded, then there have been 148 mass shootings so far in 2019.

While this appalls my friends who live in Europe, I must always remind them that violence is endemic to American culture. There was a speech at the beginning of the movie “Patton” that exemplifies this: “Men, all this stuff you've heard about America not wanting to fight, wanting to stay out of the war, is a lot of horse dung. Americans, traditionally, love to fight.”

It really is an odd contrast in American culture: unbearably prudish and glorifies violence in the extreme.

20. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Good to be reminded. I’m sure that will comfort the families in events like these. :oops:

21. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

In 2019: 149 killed, 585 wounded. And that's in just the first FIVE months of the year.

22. Cycom Suspended

Cycom

Now how many firearm related murders just in Chicago in that time frame?

23. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

There have always been crazy people among us or those who suffer momentary insanity, yet today, most of those people have been armed for gun lobby profits along with the fairy tales about how guns make us safer. Now that we have armed those people, you’d better always be toting. How ironic.
    For myself, I take my chances, daily braving this very dangerous world. Frankly, I don’t know how I manage to not be armed. I guess I don’t worry about it and when it’s my time, it’s my time.

24. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Why is Chicago so important?

Mass shootings only happen there?

And you do realize despite the conservative talking point fable, Chicago is not the most violent city?

As far as high firearm related murder if you want specifics, Chicago is still NOT the highest with firearm deaths.

It's NOT even in the top 10 most deadliest cities in 2019. It's currently ranked the 57th most dangerous city.
    Partisan talking points & the truth do NOT always go hand & hand.

Yet still brought up for no reason.

https://www.vox.com/a/mass-shootings-america-sandy-hook-gun-violence

But I get it, Chicago is somehow perceived as a great deflection because of how deadly it's reported ( in fairness remember to account for the actions of the police as well ) to be.

It's NOT though.

It is a deflection, a sadly pathetic & tired one at that.