Virginia Governor Race: Democrat Northam wins by ~200,000 votes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by oneMadRssn, Nov 7, 2017.

1. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

2. hmmfe macrumors regular

Not only that, but a possible sweep in the state.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Wow. It wasn't nearly as close as expected.

Glad to see it.

4. oneMadRssn, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017

oneMadRssn thread starter macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Indeed it looks like the polls were spot on, none of that "democrat bias" the right-wing media was claiming.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2017 ---
    Trump tweets:
    Ed Gillespie worked hard but did not embrace me or what I stand for. Don’t forget, Republicans won 4 out of 4 House seats, and with the economy doing record numbers, we will continue to win, even bigger than before!
    Actually Gillespie did embrace Trump, and Trump embraced Dillepsie. It was quite a DC swamp bromance. Just a month ago, Trump tweeted his support. And Gillespie pretty much ran the Trump/Bannon playbook: lie, divide, race-bait.

Not counting today, Republicans have turned 0 Democrats seats since Trump's election. Democrats have turned 6 Republican seats in 2017. Tell me more about "continuing to win, even bigger than before!"

5. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Gillespie did well amongst rural white voters but got killed in the suburbs. The worst thing about Trump is suburban voters abandoning the Republican Party. The precinct I live in voted for Bush twice, and for Romney and was overwhelmingly Rubio in the 2016 primary. My precinct went Hillary in the general. Suburban middle and upper middle class voters are turned off by Trump. That’s bad for Republicans. Without the suburbs Democrats win. Only good thing about Virginia is maybe Republicans will start to wake up and instead of embracing Trump or Trumpism they’ll distance themselves from him.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

This was a Democrat seat to start with. If Dems lost this it would have been a dumpster fire.
    How'd the dems win last time before Trump was in office then? You guys are treating this like an upset when the Republican was the underdog.

7. oneMadRssn thread starter macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

To be clear, Democrats haven't lost a single Democrat seat since Trump's victory. How many have Republicans lost to Democrats? Is it 7 now? More? Dumpster fire is right.

8. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

All the polls were showing it much closer than it ended up. This was a disaster for the GOP. It shows how toxic Trump is outside of very red, very rural white areas. Gillespie got killed in the suburbs. Democrats would be fools not to go after suburban voters turned off by Trump. But they’re held hostage by the far left so I’m sure they’ll find a way to screw it up.
    Also another moderate Republican congressmam announced he’s retiring today. Republicans will probably keep the Senate because the math is very tough for Democrats but the House has a good chance of going Democrat.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

How many did Obama lose? You must be new to politics.
    Underdog nearly won governor seat that Democrats held. Watch out Republicans!

10. oneMadRssn thread starter macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Again, not correct. The poll average, of the latest polls, turned out pretty much spot on.
    So you expect Trump to lose a lot more next year. Good to know you're prepared. Better tweet at your homeboy trump, because I don't think he's ready for the bad news.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I can't remember a time in recent history when Republicans or Democrats gained into the midterms for their own party. It always works this way. A victory for the Republicans at this point is to hold a majority in the house.

12. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Hmm..I thought most polls were 3 points or so.
    2002. But of course 9/11 factored into that.

13. Zenithal macrumors G3

He left the US to live in the great conservative bastion that is Canada.

2018 rests on the Dems not being scared and playing a dirty game. Something they're incapable of doing.

14. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Nope. He'll be rolling out the buses to throw anyone & everyone under. Starting with Gillespie...

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...cc6e4b04e96f0c641b2?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

15. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

16. Tapiture macrumors 65816

Tapiture

Yes! I needed this. Showing trump and the republicans we won’t let them roll over us to destroy our country!

17. samiwas macrumors 68000

Nearly won? It was a difference of more than 8%. Hillary received 3% MORE votes and you guys still called it a landslide. So, I'd say the Democrat beat the Republican in a massive landslide.

For the last 48 years, the governor of Virginia has been evenly split between Democrats and Republicans. The vote in 2013 was off by 2.6% between Democrat and Republican, and this time, more than 8%. Looks like the Republicans lost a LOT of votes this time. They must be failing hard around there.

18. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Furthermore...

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...909e4b06ff32c944693?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

19. samiwas macrumors 68000

Looks like a Democrat also won Georgia's 6th District Senate race. This is a district that has been largely Republican for many years. Not a huge game changer, but interesting trend nonetheless.

20. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

What you are failing to realize is that tonight was a dumpster fire...for Republicans. Not only did the GOP lose the governorship of two states, they are also losing state legislature seats in Virginia like crazy. In seriously unthinkable numbers. All the numbers aren't in yet on that, but it is a very huge victory and a repudiation of all those Trump robocalls whether you want to admit it or not. A Democrat also won attorney general and Lt. Governor also. Virginia is solidly blue tonight. That must really eat at Republicans. :D

Yes, watch out Republicans. When a Transgender person wins against the person that wrote the state bathroom bill against transgenders, watch out! When Gillespie (who has run in Virginia before) not only loses counties by a bigger margin than he lost before, but by a bigger margin than Trump lost, watch out Republicans!

Because those things shouldn't be happening, even in an off year election. But yet they are. By a party that often struggles to show up during off presidential elections. Hmmm, what do you think is going to happen in 2020 during an election when we normally DO come out?
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/07/politics/2017-us-election-highlights/index.html

This is awesome...I just heard he was running the other day. Glad he won his race. Maybe some good will come out of tragedy.

21. zin macrumors 6502

When you’re already at rock bottom as a result of losing 1,000 seats under Obama, it isn’t so unthinkable that they would recover some of their losses.

22. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

And so the spin begins. But you can't spin your way out of this one. There were some historic things tonight. The guy you back and his views were rejected tonight.

This just in..
    BREAKING: Maine votes to expand medicaid under a Republican governor. So another loss for Republicans up and down the East coast in a variety of ways tonight.

23. oneMadRssn thread starter macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

24. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

If I might offer a possible peek in one excuse reason that might be proposed for the losses in Virginia...

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...ginia-election-felony-vote-disenfranchisement

While that might become a laughably exaggerated talking point in the future, maybe the beginning of some very sad but creative spinning in the future.

A diversion must be on the way for the weekend...