Virginia Governor Race: Democrat Northam wins by ~200,000 votes

oneMadRssn

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2011
New England
This just in..
BREAKING: Maine votes to expand medicaid under a Republican governor. So another loss for Republicans up and down the East coast in a variety of ways tonight.
That’s huge. Makes the GOP plan, Repeal And Go F Yourself (tm), that much harder to implement.

Though Maine needs to get rid if their moron governor, and fast.

Reactions: MadeTheSwitch

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
And so the spin begins. But you can't spin your way out of this one. There were some historic things tonight. The guy you back and his views were rejected tonight.

This just in..
BREAKING: Maine votes to expand medicaid under a Republican governor. So another loss for Republicans up and down the East coast in a variety of ways tonight.
Not really. The Republican candidate shunned Trump, campaigned with Bush, and his opponent came out opposing sanctuary cities.

Saw that result coming from an ocean away.

Reactions: tgara and pdqgp

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
If I might offer a possible peek in one excuse reason that might be proposed for the losses in Virginia...

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/11/7/16618686/virginia-election-felony-vote-disenfranchisement

While that might become a laughably exaggerated talking point in the future, maybe the beginning of some very sad but creative spinning in the future.

A diversion must be on the way for the weekend...
It isn’t exaggerated. They lost net 1,000+ state and federal seats. Only place they can go is up.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
. The Republican candidate shunned Trump
You spelled embrace wrong. When you run on a Trump platform, you aren't shunning him.
[doublepost=1510114691][/doublepost]
It isn’t exaggerated. They lost net 1,000+ state and federal seats. Only place they can go is up.
Not true. We could have stayed the same. Fact is your guy didn't do his job. If he had, there wouldn't have been seats lost. At some point you are going to have to face that and stop blaming other things.

Last edited:
Reactions: JayMysterio

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
You spelled embrace wrong. When you run on a Trump platform, you aren't shunning them.
[doublepost=1510114691][/doublepost]
Not true. We could have stayed the same. Fact is your guy didn't do his job. If he had, there wouldn't have been seats lost. At some point you are going to have to face that and stop blaming other things.
You’re joking, right? He is an establishment Republican, former lobbyist, aide to Bush, and campaigned with Bush. He was nowhere near the Trump platform. He also told Trump to stay out of the state.

I’m not sure where I’ve blamed other things. They lost seats and failed to take some. I congratulate Democrats for holding their seat and winning back some of their historic losses in blue Virginia.

Reactions: pdqgp

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Not really. The Republican candidate shunned Trump, campaigned with Bush, and his opponent came out opposing sanctuary cities.

shun
SHən/
verb
  1. persistently avoid, ignore, or reject (someone or something) through antipathy or caution.
    "he shunned fashionable society"
    synonyms: avoid, evade, eschew, steer clear of, shy away from, fight shy of, keep one's distance from, give a wide berth to, have nothing to do with;
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/11/07/northam_beats_gillespie_in_close_virginia_governor_s_race.html

Gillespie, despite being a party Republican of the George W. Bush era who served as a senior counselor in the Bush White House, repositioned himself as a born-again populist for the race, hitting all the Trumpy cultural themes of blaming immigrants, declaring Confederate monuments sacrosanct, and admonishing NFL players for kneeling in protest during the national anthem. Northam ran hard against Trump in the Democratic primary, but had trouble finding his footing in the general election. Democrats elected statewide in Virginia typically can’t rely on progressive red meat, and some of Northam’s stances on immigration and Trump himself angered the party faithful. That appeared to give Gillespie a plausible path to the governor’s mansion despite flagging Republican popularity nationally. Polls had the two running neck and neck going into Election Day.
That would literally be the opposite of shunning.

P.S. Virginia does NOT have sanctuary cities. So what are you incorrectly referring to?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/did-ralph-northam-cast-the-deciding-vote-to-allow-sanctuary-cities-in-virginia/2017/08/30/c2e874ce-8d95-11e7-8df5-c2e5cf46c1e2_story.html?utm_term=.861ea88f5126

Republican gubernatorial candidate Ed Gillespie launched the first negative television commercial in Virginia’s general election, assailing his Democratic opponent Ralph Northam as weak on public safety issues.

The ad — called “Ralph Northam’s Risky Policies” — opens by asking who would keep your family safe.

“Ralph Northam cast the deciding vote in favor of sanctuary cities that let illegal immigrants who commit crimes back on the street,” the narrator says.

But the claim, which suggests Northam cast a vote allowing for the establishment of so-called sanctuary cities, does not provide the complicated context behind the vote.

The Republican-controlled General Assembly considered legislation in February to ban sanctuary cities, or localities that refuse to help detain and deport people who are in the country illegally.

Northam, the lieutenant governor, presides over the 40-member state Senate, and only votes when there’s a tie.

Senate Majority Leader Thomas K. Norment (R-James City) initially voted against the ban. It was an odd move for the GOP leader to break from his party, but it set up a tie forcing Northam to go on record on a contentious issue.

Northam voted against the bill, and Gillespie’s campaign promptly put out a statement condemning him for it.

The bill came for another vote, and passed with Norment’s support. Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D) vetoed the legislation.

Asked if he deliberately voted against the bill to force a vote from Northam, Norment walked away from reporters.

Complicating matters further: Virginia technically doesn’t have sanctuary cities.

The definition can vary and jurisidictions have different practices for cooperating with federal immigration authorities, but Northam and Gillespie agree on this point.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Great news!

Gillespie did well amongst rural white voters but got killed in the suburbs. The worst thing about Trump is suburban voters abandoning the Republican Party. The precinct I live in voted for Bush twice, and for Romney and was overwhelmingly Rubio in the 2016 primary. My precinct went Hillary in the general. Suburban middle and upper middle class voters are turned off by Trump. That’s bad for Republicans. Without the suburbs Democrats win. Only good thing about Virginia is maybe Republicans will start to wake up and instead of embracing Trump or Trumpism they’ll distance themselves from him.
Distance? God, the man needs to be left 40 miles out in the political desert in July without a ride, shade, or water. ;)

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
me. I congratulate Democrats for holding their seat and winning back some of their historic losses in blue Virginia.
LMAO...so now Virginia is considered a blue state to you? Wow. Surrender was so easy.

IMG_5705.JPG

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
LMAO...so now Virginia is considered a blue state to you? Wow. Surrender was so easy.
it's gone blue for quite some time. IIRC like 3/4 of our past elections. tonight's race was of no surprise to anyone outside those perhaps under a rock.

Last edited:
Reactions: tgara

duffman9000

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA

I think you don't understand what shunned means. Let's hear it from the devil himself...

“Corey Stewart is the reason Gillespie is going to win,” Stephen K. Bannon, the former White House chief strategist and Trump’s campaign czar, said in an interview. “It was the Trump-Stewart talking points that got Gillespie close and even maybe to victory. It was embracing Trump’s agenda as personified by Corey’s platform. This was not a competitive race four weeks ago. You could have stuck a fork in Gillespie.”

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
it's gone blue for quite some time. IIRC like 3/4 of our past elections. tonight's race was of no surprise to anyone outside those perhaps under a rock.
Conservatives gave it up so easily. I wouldn't call it a blue state yet, but I'm glad Republicans do. Maybe they won't try so hard there anymore. :D

I'd say having a transgender person winning against the guy who wrote the bathroom bill was a surprise. And a nice one at that!

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
One item I found interesting is that the Democrats have come so close to (maybe they even succeeded in) taking a majority of state house seats in a heavily gerrymandered district map in Virginia. It is one thing to win a statewide election for governor; something else to win a series of races where the deck is stacked against you.

Should the Republican Party start to lose even in those races they have set up as guaranteed wins, it could spell permanent damage to the party infrastructure...

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Well, if the administration kills or lessens crop subsidies, it'll spill the mountain of beans for them.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
You’re joking, right? He is an establishment Republican, former lobbyist, aide to Bush, and campaigned with Bush. He was nowhere near the Trump platform. He also told Trump to stay out of the state.

I’m not sure where I’ve blamed other things. They lost seats and failed to take some. I congratulate Democrats for holding their seat and winning back some of their historic losses in blue Virginia.
Parroting Trump talking points I see. He didn’t ha far Trump campaign with him but he definitely embraced Trumpism at least when it comes to the culture war and white identity politics. There’s a reason he got crushed in the suburbs and it’s not because he was too establishment.
[doublepost=1510134304][/doublepost]
Great news!

Distance? God, the man needs to be left 40 miles out in the political desert in July without a ride, shade, or water. ;)
Here’s the 18-29 vote margins:

McAuliffe +5
Clinton +18
Northam +39

It blows my mind how Republicans so easily allowed their party to be taken over by this clown. And yesterday I saw anti-anti-Trump clowns on Twitter going after Never Trumpers. But Never Trumper’s will have the last laugh when Democrats take over the House in 2018.

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
View attachment 733546

Yeah, on a state wide level, Virginia is pretty damn blue. Thank god for fairfax county.
Glad to hear that my home state managed to reject the GOP and Trump, and that the county that I grew up in (Fairfax) voted so heavily Democratic. I am also glad the GOP does not control the state government - some of the GOP state delegates in Virginia were even more unhinged than Trump.

It is sad, however, to see the rural areas being so different from the urban areas and the places with universities. I still think we are very divided as a country.

Reactions: Eraserhead

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
The spin from MRs resident right-wingers and right-wing apologists is out of control! The generic ballot advantage for D's held tonight and it spells big trouble for the GOP in 2018. The Trump train derailed as soon as it started, y'all just haven't realized it yet.
On Fox Laura Ingraham blamed Gillespie for not going even more Trump. She wondered what would have happened if Gillespie had campaigned on “preserving our history”. But Gillespie spent over $400K on ads about confederate statues which ran over 2,000 times. The Trump Brigade is in complete denial.

R.Perez

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
On Fox Laura Ingraham blamed Gillespie for not going even more Trump. She wondered what would have happened if Gillespie had campaigned on “preserving our history”. But Gillespie spent over $400K on ads about confederate statues which ran over 2,000 times. The Trump Brigade is in complete denial.
There were other factors for sure, but Obama Trump voters helped decide the 2016 election. The GOP is off its rocker if it thinks those voters care about protecting Confederate statues. They voted against Hillary because she was seen as a corporatist plutocrat and Trump was branded an outsider (for some reason). These culture war nutters always voted Republican and were not the reason Hillary lost, I guarantee it.

Reactions: Eraserhead

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
America rejected Trumpism big time last night. Well done!
While I certainly don’t deny that yesterday’s election is to be analyzed, yours is a bit of a stretch. Virginia is traditionally a blue state, and so is NJ at least in gubernatorial races. I would wait the mid term elections. But even then, if I remember correctly the 2009 legislature was all blue, then the House became red and yet Obama won in 2012.
At any rate, enjoy the results!

Reactions: pdqgp

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
There were other factors for sure, but Obama Trump voters helped decide the 2016 election. The GOP is off its rocker if it thinks those voters care about protecting Confederate statues. They voted against Hillary because she was seen as a corporatist plutocrat and Trump was branded an outsider (for some reason). These culture war nutters always voted Republican and were not the reason Hillary lost, I guarantee it.
I’m still fascinated by these Obama -> Trump voters. Why were they Obama voters to begin with?

Democrats did really well in DC/VA suburbs. Won Louden county by 20 points. They also made gains in Bucks county, a vote rich swing county in the Philly suburbs. Bottom line is Trump is toxic in suburbs and Republicans can’t win elections without suburban voters. Btw, for those that voted in VA the number one issue was healthcare. Second was gun policy. Immigration came in last. Fighting culture wars doesn’t work for either party. Dems lose when it’s about transgender bathrooms and forcing private business to bake cakes for gay weddings and Republicans lose when they focus on confederate statues and white identity politics.

Reactions: MadeTheSwitch