Virginia outlaws forced microchip implantation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Feb 10, 2010.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2010/02/10/politics/politicalhotsheet/entry6195506.shtml

I'm guessing the VA House of Delegates doesn't have anything better to do with their time.

Oh, and the obligatory cat in the tinfoil hat:
    [​IMG]

2. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Yes. And people thought the UPC codes on the products we buy were the same mark.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Really? I mean i guess I support that, but seriously? They really don't have anything better to do?

4. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, I mean I support the idea behind it, no one should be forced to have a microchip implanted, but where the hell did they even get the idea that it would ever happen?

5. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Hehehehe my same reaction. Maybe in a hundred years this could be an issue. Kudos to Virginia for thinking ahead? :confused:

6. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

I think if the government gets corrupt enough to implant microchips in everyone, a Virginia law won't do much to stop them.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Not to mention this only says without consent, all the business needs to do to side step this is to require it for employment. I imagine the government could do much the same.

8. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Clearly CA and WI didn't have anything better to do.

Doing the right thing with flawed reasoning - is that so bad? More than anybody else, I think this would protect prisoners. Tracking chips would certainly be an easy way to cut down on the number of guards needed to secure prisons.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Dear Idiots,

Please stop worrying about the end times and do something to create more jobs.

Sincerely,
    The American People.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

11. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

The law itself is fascinating perhaps OK at best as far as future prevention of loss of individual liberties are concerned but this politicians personal reasoning for it is a bit backwards. Then again as far as I am aware no one is forcing people to implant a chip either--the level of religiously based paranoia in the process of making laws these days is baffling.

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Couldn't that be said that doing that is effectively the same thing as forcing microchip implantation. It saying take chip or be fired.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Not if it was a prerequisite for new hires only for some reason.

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

you say that but i feel it would be breaking the spirit of the law and still would be breaking it.

For example you can not put in the new hire requirement that says "You can not join a Union in doing so you will be fired" that is against the law.

Now saying some one can put a chip in them to say avoid other password and card ids to get places is a different story because it is the employees choice on what they want to use.

15. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

If you already have the job they cannot. Falls under the same protections as any issue with personal space including sexual harassment, and violence--if a boss asks me to insert anything into my body that can be interpreted as a violation.

They can say how a person should dress appropriate to the task, but they cannot short of legitimate safety reasons (e.g, influence of drugs and alcohol) tell you what you can, cannot, or have to put in your own body--at best the current laws restrict what can go in a persons body in the workplace for safety reasons, not require them to do so. Rational supervisors would actually tell an employee to remove certain things when possible (such as jewelry) , cover up and protect certain body parts and personal enhancements (like tying back long hair, protecting surgical implants, and covering up tattoos which are things ultimately individuals choices alone). All things external and well within rational safety limits under employment laws.

16. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I'm not a theologian either but it seems simple. Don't implant microchips in your forehead or right hand.

17. Queso macrumors G4

This must be Mark Of The Beast™ v234.8, they truly never shut up about it or the end of the world etc. etc.

Still, it's reasonably entertaining to read about :D

18. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Dammit, I have to make a phone call. There are certain… arrangements that need to be revised.

I mean, really, do any of you have any idea how hard it is to come up with a truly brilliant plan to take over the…

…uh, you should probably forget I said anything. Too ***** bad I can't make that happen, say with a computer chip in your head, amirite?

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Fine. Fine. I'll revise the plan.
    7. [redacted].....[/redacted]
    8. Implant chips in everyone, everyone but residents of Virginia Nuke Virginia.
    9. [redacted]...[/redacted]

20. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I don't agree with the religious reasons behind the law but I support it. Like others have said, I doubt it will prevent people from being coerced into getting chip implants however.

Most will get them willingly because you'll never have to worry about losing your wallet or purse--a great convenience. I guess certain chips could also be used to track abducted or wayward children. Of course, that also means you can be more easily monitored by the government and that could be a very, very bad thing. You might think its a "tinfoil hat" issue now, but no one knows what the government will be like 20 years from today.

21. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Indeed. I don't think the tracking location via cellphones, massive (overbroad) watch lists, etc were considered to be anything more than tinfoil material 20 years ago.

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

And, I had such great plans to start selling tinfoil bodysuits.

Damn.

23. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Well, yes, but I would argue that we should legislate actual present issues and not science fiction movie plots. If some of those plots come to pass, we can legislate them then.

Speaking of, that's great, hulugu, but without the Virginians who is going to extract the critical isotope from the mutant radioactive badgers? Have you ever tried to convince somebody without a brain chip to milk a badger?

*sigh* Maybe we can convince 4chan it's a Rule 34 thing.

24. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Badgers. We don't need no stinkin' badgers.

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn