Virginia revokes concealed carry permit agreement with 25 states

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Dec 22, 2015.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Ultimately, this won't mean much in the great gun rights debate. But it's been a while since we've seen this kind of pushback against the liberalization of gun laws. So it's worth noting ... and celebrating ... at least for a short while.

Rock on Virginia.

2. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Would love to see the stats on fugitives, and drug dealers that have actually applied for a CHL.
    I can't imagine too many are willing to be fingerprinted and background checked just to have a permit in their pocket for something they likely carry regardless of the law.

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

4. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Exactly. Those looking to commit crimes sure as hell will not use something that can be traced back to them, terrorist looking to get "virgins" might be the exception

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I sympathize with the extra layer of bureaucratic headaches, but some of these seem to issue permits to non state residents.

Florida supposedly issues permits to state and non-state residents. I tried to confirm that. I found what appears to be a page affiliated with Florida, but it wasn't a .gov type (not all government agency pages are but I didn't feel like checkign further). It seems Virginia may not want to deal with people who obtain permits from outside Virginia in order to carry concealed in Virginia.

I'm also skeptical that criminals would avoid applying for permits. It doesn't implicate them in any crime, and depending on circumstances the penalty for illegally carrying a firearm may exceed that of minor drug offenses.

Since I haven't said it today, **** Florida.

6. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

There are a few states that do recognize permits from other states, you still have to apply and pay for the back ground checks, worth it to those who travel

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Yeah I figured it would be useful to travelers, especially anyone that regularly crosses state lines for work reasons. Truckers obviously come to mind. Virginia seems to make the determinations based on what is covered by background checks in other states. It's not clear whether they also issue non-resident permits.

Texas actually makes the list according to the Virginia State Police website. If you have a ccw permit from Texas, it's still legal in Virginia. I thought you might find that amusing.

I don't think Virginia's reciprocity policy mean that you still have to pay the fees and go through additional background checks if you currently hold a permit from one of those states. It seems to be that one is as good as the other.

8. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

9. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm surprised to see pdqgp likes your post. In my experience, gun rights advocates have been states' rights advocates, and I'm sure there would be howls of protest if tighter federal restrictions were put in place over more liberal state laws.

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

My home state is Virginia. Frankly, I do not care what other cowboy yippee ki-ya states do, if their vetting process for licensing the concealment of a weapon is not up to scratch in Virginia, then the state has the right to abrogate its agreements. 'States' rights' and all that... democracy in action.

11. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I generally agree but no one wants to become an inadvertent criminal either.

**edit**

The problem with gun laws IMO is the hodgepodge of rules governing them they can change town to town, and do change state to state. If the the federal government would just set the rules then we'd all know what's acceptable and what's not. The KISS method

12. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

And recently the discussion has swung towards finding ways to keep guns out of the hands of people who are unfit to possess firearms. Who could argue against restrictions intended to target fugitives, convicted stalkers and drug dealers?

Ignorance of the law ...

13. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

That's true, but how easy is it to research? How burdensome is the research? I wouldn't ever carry a handgun but it seems like investigating gun laws by city or county on a multistate or even intrastate trip is a bit over the top.

14. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Conservatives don't want that. They don't want any change to the federal laws for fear of the NRA who hasn't been relevant since at least 2012 elections.

I think if the face of violent crime becomes a non white minority then you will have people reconsidering assault weapons bans and background checks so fast it'll make your head spin. the problem is that the "crazy" white guy narrative doesn't allow any political room to change the gun laws in any way.

15. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

If you're going to carry a deadly weapon, then it's on you to know where it's legal to do so. If it's too much of a burden, then leave the gun at home, or locked away in a safe, in your car.

16. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

The conversation started when one of the biggest pro gun people on this board liked my post so that person must at least slightly agree.

17. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

It's not so much just the where it's the everything else too. Yes I'm lazy I'd just leave it at home because it's more stress than it's worth but I can't think of a good reason not to the same law apply to all everywhere.

18. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Liberal states want stricter gun control laws as they have a more densely populated areas in many cases. I think there does need to be a baseline background check through a federal government database. It's amazing that we have all this technology here in the US and our Federal government save for Health Care is so inefficient.

19. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Personally, I'd be fine with federal laws. I would actually prefer it, for some of the reasons you point out, as well as others.

But that isn't going to go over well with gun advocates, unless the federal law is as lenient as state law.

20. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

My point isn't stricter/looser it's more lets just decide the rules are and apply them equally across the states.

21. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Nothing is going to go over well with everybody but part of the problems we have are there is no standard. Why tighten laws in Chicago when I can just drive out of the city and get what I'm looking for it's pissing up a rope.

22. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Exactly. I've been saying this for years. You drive into California and all they care about is whether you're bringing in fruits or vegetables. State borders and city limits provide nothing to prevent the flow of guns through them.

23. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Again I never fall just on one side or the other. IMO it ridiculous in terms of chl's that there isn't reciprocity across all the states. VA in this case is just posturing for something.

24. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

That is my point states want some flexibility to make the rules within their states. I'm saying give them a baseline and the states can work up or not work up from there.

25. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Then we have the same situation we have now.