Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I suppose this goes with the XServe graphic that people saw that was for a G5 that said 2.x GHz way before the XServe G5 was available.

macsrus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
Terra Firma
PowerMacMan said:
He said the 2.5's are to hot to put in the Xserve in the "New PowerMacs Released" forum... Seems weird t :confused: o me...

LOL.... of course the 2.5s are too hot.... There isnt room for the liquid cooler in a 1.74 inch high xserve .....

legion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Odd since they don't make a 2.3GHz Xserve and the Virigina order has been on the books for months and has yet to be filled and the Virgina cluster is going to be dropped off of the Top500 list since it's been dismantled for so long and Apple has yet to fill the dual 2.0 orders...

yeah, sure, VATech ordered 2.3 Xserves :rolleyes:

loneAzdgari

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2003
UK, KENT
Abstract said:
Virginia Tech is a school, right? What exactly do they do with the 2nd fastest supercomputer in the world, anyway?

1) It's a university

2) Universities need powerful computers for research and timeshare

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
loneAzdgari said:
1) It's a university

2) Universities need powerful computers for research and timeshare

And hosting MASSIVE Party Shuffle iTunes Mixes for the on campus parties. :D

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Abstract said:
Virginia Tech is a school, right? What exactly do they do with the 2nd fastest supercomputer in the world, anyway?

It is the 3rd fastest supercomputer.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Yeesh, Apple and Virginia Tech must be holding hands if VA-Tech wants so much processing power so quickly.

Abstract said:
4th, not 2nd (or 3rd anymore). There was some super-Intel (I think) box-based machine that bumped VA-Tech's Big Mac down from 3rd to 4th. It was discussed on Macrumors a while back...don't make me search for it, I hate searching.

macsrus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
Terra Firma
King Cobra said:
Yeesh, Apple and Virginia Tech must be holding hands if VA-Tech wants so much processing power so quickly.

4th, not 2nd (or 3rd anymore). There was some super-Intel (I think) box-based machine that bumped VA-Tech's Big Mac down from 3rd to 4th. It was discussed on Macrumors a while back...don't make me search for it, I hate searching.

Well actually Virginia Tech isnt on the TOP500 list anymore....
System X has been completly dismantled and the assest are being sold off as refurbished Power Macs
They should be able to have their new xserves and get them running again in time to make the November Top500 list release cycle

I doubt that they will be able to be in the Top 5 by then ..... My best guess is they will be #7 or 8 on the November list.

Oh and the intel itanium cluster that you were refering to is name Thunder
http://news.com.com/2100-7337_3-5208220.html?tag=nefd.top

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2003
They are still on the list as of today at #3. Does anyone know when the site will be updated with the June 2004 benchmarks?

It doesn't really matter anyways, since Virginia Tech achieved their project goals. I don't believe longevity was a stated goal. The main goal was just to break the 10 Teraflops performance barrier in an academic setting.

If this claim of new 2.3GHz Xserves turned out to actually be true then they may actually break 11 TFlops with the new cluster. Maybe they would name it "XI"? According to their site they have some plans to create similar clusters in the future that would break 50 TFlops and 100 TFlops named "L" and "C" from the Roman numerals.

macsrus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
Terra Firma
yamabushi said:
They are still on the list as of today at #3. Does anyone know when the site will be updated with the June 2004 benchmarks?

It doesn't really matter anyways, since Virginia Tech achieved their project goals. I don't believe longevity was a stated goal.

Actually They didnt really reach their goal.
They are replacing the system because of 2 main problems
1. Power and cooling requirements
2. No ECC memory

Without ECC memory the system was never stable..... (i.e. Power Macs are not designed for the 24x7 100% CPU utilization and excessive memory churning that Super Computers/Clusters recieve....

If you look at servers from any manufacturer they all use ECC memory...
Regardless of what anyone tells you...... the reason they changed from the PMs to Xserves is for the ECC

The new list will be out June 22 at the June SCC 2004 in Heidelburg

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Apple should consider provide a way that would make clustering easier, maybe new software or something. They could seriously become a company that makes computers that are easily clusterable, maybe create software to make it easier or something, and just make it super simple to do.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Abstract said:
Apple should consider provide a way that would make clustering easier, maybe new software or something. They could seriously become a company that makes computers that are easily clusterable, maybe create software to make it easier or something, and just make it super simple to do.

You mean like XSan?

P-Worm

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
macsrus said:
Oh and the intel itanium cluster that you were refering to is name Thunder
http://news.com.com/2100-7337_3-5208220.html?tag=nefd.top

Wow! My father used to work at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, and I literally lived a stones throw away. My father worked with carbon 14 dating.

Man, those were the days....comeing home from school and seeing petitions out by the gate...what fun it was to laugh at them. :D

If anybody works (or has been to)at LLNL, PM me. I know a lot of history about LLNL.

Coolvirus007

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2004
Tokyo
Have VA-tech actually used their g5 powermacs for anything useful before dismatling it? How much money would they loose from sell all their g5 to get the same number of new g5 servers?

macsrus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
Terra Firma
legion said:
Odd since they don't make a 2.3GHz Xserve and the Virigina order has been on the books for months and has yet to be filled and the Virgina cluster is going to be dropped off of the Top500 list since it's been dismantled for so long and Apple has yet to fill the dual 2.0 orders...

yeah, sure, VATech ordered 2.3 Xserves :rolleyes:

The new Top500 list will be out in 3 days...
And you will see that Virginia Tech has already dropped off the list....

You cant stay on the list for a system that doesnt exist....

They will be back on the November list though. Only they will be no higher than 6 or 7 by then...

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
P-Worm said:
You mean like XSan?

P-Worm

Xsan is shared storage. Xgrid is probably what you're thinking about. Of course, Xsan is an announced product (coming this Fall), and Xgrid is a work in progress with no e.t.a. for the market.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
As of this past Sunday.

Code:
Top supercomputers

Here are the top 10 supercomputers, who built them, and where they're located.

1. Earth Simulator; NEC; Yokohama, Japan

2. Thunder; California Digital Corporation; Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

3. ASCI Q; Hewlett-Packard; Los Alamos National Laboratory

4. Blue Gene DD1; IBM; IBM's Thomas Watson Research Center

5. PowerEdge 1750; Dell; National Center for Supercomputing Applications

6. EServer pSeries 690; IBM; European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts

7. RIKEN Super Combined Cluster; Fujitsu; Wako, Japan

8. Blue Gene DD2; IBM; IBM's Thomas Watson Research Center

9. Integrity; Hewlett-Packard; Pacific Northwest National Laboratory

10. Dawning 4000A; Dawning; Shanghai

Who will be next in line to put the administration's salary on an Apple Cluster again?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.