Virginia: Through The Looking Glass

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Mar 7, 2010.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/n...ics/article/CUCCGAT05_20100305-182601/328592/
    This is very bizarre. What are Virginia's colleges supposed to do now? Introduce mandatory discrimination?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. Queso macrumors G4

Just when you think you've heard it all. Lee, I'm beginning to think the only way forward for your country is for it to collapse and become part of Canada.

4. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

^^
    This please. :D

5. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

^I, for one, welcome our new Canadian overlords, eh?

Seriously, I do not see this surviving a legal challenge on Fourteenth Amendment grounds...of course, I've said this about bans on same-sex marriage.

6. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Canada, eh? I'm game.

Seriously, this is ******* crazy.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It already is collapsing. No one is going to be able to fix it as long as BS like this goes on.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Sadly, I'm not surprised. And I think that's the worst part of it, that in this day and age, I'm still not surprised when people do **** like this. We have not come very far as a nation. We need the military of the 1950s and the civil rights of the 2010s, not the other way around.

Can I request a Tim Hortons in my backyard? There's ample room.

9. Xavier macrumors 68020

At least with Canada, we'd have universal health care

10. Queso macrumors G4

A quick update on this story. Following public refusals to comply and declarations of disgust from the higher education establishments themselves, over a thousand students taking to the State's Senate House in protest, and the lobbying of business interests to consider moving from Virginia due to "concerns about the political climate" the AG has basically been told to keep his mouth shut. The Governor's Office has issued an Executive Directive stating that anti-gay discrimination is still prohibited under the State's law and that any employer who is found to discriminate could face fines.

Not quite the full protection under the law that other forms of discrimination in the state receive, but considering Virginia's Governor is Regent University alumni Bob McDonnell this is possibly as good as it's going to get in the short term.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm glad people are standing up to this nonsense.

12. Queso macrumors G4

Academics don't take kindly to being told what they can and cannot do on their own campus. Chuck in the taint of bigotry and this was the only response the AG could have expected, which makes it all the more bizarre that this was attempted in the first place.

13. 184550 Guest

I can understand where the argument comes from. All of the above listed are very easily proven with the exception of religion. How would one prove that they are gay?

Having said that, I know most of you will flip out and ignore my point and call me a homophobe.

14. Queso macrumors G4

Short of making out with someone of the same-sex in front of everyone it's going to be difficult. Somehow I think that wouldn't go down too well in Virginia though.

15. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Your list includes another exception, so why would you say "all of the above"?

16. 184550 Guest

Do you have anything of substance to say? Or are we playing the technicality game tonight?

17. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

I am simply asking why you are posting self-evident bollocks. That's reasonable, isn't it?

18. 184550 Guest

Yet if I pulled a stunt like this several people who have already posted in this thread would have torn my head off and have told me to stay on topic regardless of any technicalities.

Ah, double standards...

19. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

The point surely is that, as with all the other cited forms of discrimination, the "victim"'s actual characteristics do not need to be proved, only that any discrimination was based on a perception or presumption of such characteristics, whether accurate or not.

20. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Don't take it personally, but I am not so much ignoring your point as totally not seeing it. You mention understanding an argument, but the section you quote does not contain an argument. It's just an observation about the behavior of the General Assembly. You go on to say something about proving people are gay, but there is nothing about that in the section you quoted, or, unless I've overlooked it, in the entire original article.

I think you might be seeing something that is going to require some explanation for the rest of us to see what you're getting at.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This. That's all that's needed.

22. 184550 Guest

My understanding of the issue presented above is that the VA AG says that Gays cannot be a protected class in the VA higher education system because they lack any defineable characteristics needed to make them a protected class from discrimination. Take for example skin color. I can easily tell if someone is black or white.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What tangible characteristic makes someone Jewish? Yet we still prohibit discrimination based on religion.

24. 184550 Guest

Did you not read post 13?

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes, I did. And you still have no point. If a distinguishing characteristic is not needed to prohibit discrimination based on religion, then why is there one need for sexual orientation?