Virus Protection for Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thedarkhalf, Nov 30, 2009.

1. thedarkhalf macrumors member

I'm a little disappointed in VirusScan (Virex) for Mac and i'm looking to get something else for the 60+ Macs at our offices. We have some older machines and Virex seems to kill performance.

Any good recommendations?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What kind of virus scanning software are you looking for? Non-administrator accounts for your users and something like ClamXav to scan e-mail attachments along with a good firewall will usually work just fine.

3. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Do you need central management of all 60 clients? If so, you may need to go with something like McAfee Security. That is what we have at work and it isn't horrible on machine resources. If you can trust your users to install and keep current themselves, then I would second ClamXav. That is what I used when anti-virus was mandatory, but before we were required to use McAfee.

4. thedarkhalf thread starter macrumors member

Dont really need central management.. I would like something that will update on it's on or on a schedule. Most users and non-admin accounts.

I'll test out Clamavx. Thanks :)

5. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

I'm assuming you must share a lot of files with PCs?

You want something that gets the Word macros?

Otherwise, the point of virus protection would be for? What?

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I like Intego's Virus Protection. There was a short time where it was free via the MacHeist Free Promotion. I use the entire suite, but VirusBarrier was free at the time.

7. thedarkhalf thread starter macrumors member

Well, I run the IT department and I'd rather have it not need it, then need it and not have it. No, there hasnt been a virus on the Mac yet.. but of course the operative word is "yet"

:)