Virus Protection for Mac

thedarkhalf

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2008
I'm a little disappointed in VirusScan (Virex) for Mac and i'm looking to get something else for the 60+ Macs at our offices. We have some older machines and Virex seems to kill performance.

Any good recommendations?

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
Do you need central management of all 60 clients? If so, you may need to go with something like McAfee Security. That is what we have at work and it isn't horrible on machine resources. If you can trust your users to install and keep current themselves, then I would second ClamXav. That is what I used when anti-virus was mandatory, but before we were required to use McAfee.

thedarkhalf

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2008
Dont really need central management.. I would like something that will update on it's on or on a schedule. Most users and non-admin accounts.

I'll test out Clamavx. Thanks :)

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
I'm assuming you must share a lot of files with PCs?

You want something that gets the Word macros?

Otherwise, the point of virus protection would be for? What?

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I like Intego's Virus Protection. There was a short time where it was free via the MacHeist Free Promotion. I use the entire suite, but VirusBarrier was free at the time.

thedarkhalf

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2008
You want something that gets the Word macros?

Otherwise, the point of virus protection would be for? What?
Well, I run the IT department and I'd rather have it not need it, then need it and not have it. No, there hasnt been a virus on the Mac yet.. but of course the operative word is "yet"

:)