VIRUS, Trojan or something on my macbook! Can someone recommend a free virus scanner?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by steve111, Nov 1, 2009.

1. steve111 macrumors newbie

I don't know what's on my computer but I need a free virus/trojan/malware scanner.

I have tried using house call trend micro but it doesn't seem to work. 2 hours and it didn't look like it was doing anything. (Newbie here!:eek:)

Can anyone help please?

Steve

P.S. I'm desperate!

Thank you

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Please search the forum. This is a multiple time a week topic. See the MRoogle link in my sig to help your search.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

4. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Lets start with the basics - why do you think this?

5. steve111 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was advised by a source that I trust. It is taking sales from my business. So I am not getting paid. I asked specifically on another forum and I trust their advice.

I was told to use trend micro but it didn't seem to work.

Thanks for your time,

Steve

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If it's "taking sales from your business" why are you not willing to pay for professional help?

7. felt. macrumors 6502a

maybe use little snitch to block any outgoing connections from BUSINESS STEALING programs running on your macbook :confused:

8. steve111 thread starter macrumors newbie

hello miles,

I don't want to sound rude, but explaining 'why' I want something that's free isn't helping the problem.

Please understand that this is my situation/problem.

and it's the last thing I need right now.

Thanks

Steve

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Well you aren't being very smart about it. For example you still haven't described at all what your problem is. I doubt you have a virus, and if you have a trojan then why did you install it?

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

As miles stated, you don't have a virus, you likely have a trojan, if you have anything at all. Whatever it is, you installed it on your computer, as all things that do these things must be installed by a user on a Mac.

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Ok, first of all I gave you an option. However, I failed to ask, why do you think you have a virus/malware? Please don't answer by using "a trusted source told me". Give use a reason, something that you see running badly.

Maybe it may not be a malware problem after all.

12. steve111 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will just search for something on google. I'm sorry I don't feel I should disclose the reason why. (Privacy reasons)

I trust the people that told me because it has happened to many of them.

This is what they advised me to do, use trend micro but I had no luck and thought I'd try to find help here.

Sorry to sound like a rude newbie-I don't mean to!

I will try ClamX

Thank you

Steve

Someone else is being sent MY MONEY. Don't know how long this has been going on for.

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Umm...this could easily not be a Mac problem, rather a phising.

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well, it may not be a virus. You could have been victim of a phishing scam. In which they got your banking (or other financial institution) password. How, well, they set up a very well disguised web page that looks like the real thing but it is not.

Then you get sent an email warning you of some minute detail you never suspect (like you have a message or this needs your attention) you go over and click the link they gave you in the email. That link directs you in the wrong page (the phishing page). You type your password and user and thus you just gave out your money.

That's what could have happened here. I am not saying this is what happen, but it's highly probable. More so than a virus/malware.

15. steve111 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have downloaded information products lately, some really helpful stuff. Should I delete it all?

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Not really, because you haven't told us what you downloaded. I mean, the way for you to get a trojan is for you to download something and type your password allowing it to install.

So, until we know what you did, we are never 100% sure.

17. steve111 thread starter macrumors newbie

I THINK I remember this happening about a week ago...I'm sure...quite sure, 'now what was it?'

Stupid newbie with a mac:eek:

18. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Tell us what you downloaded and what specifically is your problem and we might be able to give you relevant help.

19. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Call your bank (or wherever they're taking money from) ASAP. They'll have a fraud dept open on Sunday.

20. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Can you tell us the last 5 programs you downloaded and installed? Or at least tell us, did the pop up appaer out of nowhere?

21. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's most likely a phishing scheme. Maybe you installed a trojan or a keylogger or something, but more likely you clicked a link in an e-mail that led you to a phishing site. Or perhaps your banking password was just weak and they cracked it with a dictionary attack.

22. steve111 thread starter macrumors newbie

perian,
    three documents on making money,
    something titled 'christmas'-don't know what that is...
    limewire osx...tried downloading something off limewire-IT STOPPED due to possible virus. I assumed it done this before damaging my computer. I don't think this is what asked for my admin password.
    Templates for website

That's the last things I have downloaded. But it might have been going on for longer than I realize.

23. Nuck81 macrumors regular

judging from the get rich documents, and the fact taht you downloaded "christmas" and you don't know what it is....you have worse problems than your computer.....

24. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid