Visit to the US

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by merrickdrfc, Jul 29, 2013.

1. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

On a holiday to Florida for four weeks starting tomorrow, just wondered what the best thing to do is regarding phones etc.

I'm taking an iPhone 5 (32GB, Unlocked) and also a Nexus 4 (16GB, Unlocked) and just wanted to know if I'll be able to do what I think I'll be able to do. I'm presuming I'll be able to just walk into a T-Mobile or AT&T store and just buy a pre-paid sim only plan or pay as you go sim and put it into my phone? Only wanting to communicate within the US with the phone so international charges are not a concern.

Would prefer to have web usage as well on the iPhone, anyone have any tips?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Max speeds, AT&T. Also, in Florida AT&T is pretty much king in terms of coverage and reliability.

T-Mobile follows in close 2nd.

Either one will suffice.

3. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I have Verizon, Verizon is better to have in the NE of the US and better to have AT&T in the Southeast. You can always look on AT&T and Verizon's website for coverage maps and see which one is better for your area in Florida.

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

Verizon is irrelevant to this case since the TC is bringing unlocked GSM phones which are not supported by the Verizon network.

Yes you can walk into an AT&T or T-Mobile store and get a prepaid sim. Both are pretty good in Florida.

5. Zmanbaseball2, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013

Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Visit to the US

Ok I will know for the future now
    Verizon sprint CDMA
    AT&T t-mobile GSM
    Right?

6. awesomest47 macrumors member

This. We should add that T-mobile is much better priced and still offers a lucrative $30 plan with unlimited data, texting and 100 minutes. For everything unlimited $50. To get the closest thing on AT&T you need to pay $65 and all you get is 2 gigs. $30 on AT&T gives you unlimited text, 250 mins and 50 megs of data. No more pay as you go for iPhones. Anyways, just walk into an AT&T or T-mobile store and ask for a pay as you go (T-mobile) or "gophone" (AT&T) nano sim. You can find them at any major shopping center. Enjoy your trip! :)

7. Akack macrumors 6502a

Everything right except Sprint is CDMA.

8. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Visit to the US

Thank you. I edited it so it is now correct.

9. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

$30 for a T-Mobile prepaid plan. 100 minutes, unlimited text, 5GB of 4G/unlimited edge. Depending on where you're going in Florida there is plenty of LTE coverage and 4G as well.

Attached Files: