Vista Home Premium OEM to Ultimate via Anytime Upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jamesdmc, Sep 3, 2008.

1. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

I have an OEM copy of Vista Home Premium 64-bit that I bought from Newegg. I have it installed as a boot camp partition on my mac pro. Can I use the Anytime upgrade (http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Anytime-Upgrade-Ultimate/dp/B0015E2C2E/ref=tag_tdp_sv_edpp_i) to upgrade to Vista Ultimate x64? I've done some reading online and can't seem to find a definitive answer: some say yes; others say it can't be done with an OEM version.

And does anyone know if the Anytime Upgrade DVD comes with the 64-bit version of Vista Ultimate? One reviewer said it didn't, but that was 4 months ago. Maybe that's changed now.

James

2. nospamboz macrumors regular

I've used WAU to go from an OEM Vista Business 64 to
    Ultimate 64. Mind you, this was back before Microsoft
    switched to the Upgrade Pack method, which I think
    started with SP1. I recently had to re-install Vista, and
    had to go Business64>Ultimate64>SP1 in that order.
    It took hours.

I can't say definitively it will work with OEM and the
    Upgrade Pack, though.

3. jamesdmc thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I still don't know the answer to the question (although I do appreciate the input, nospamboz). I ended up buying a full retail version of Vista Ultimate (32 and 64-bit DVDs) from a guy on Craigslist and paid almost the same price as the Anytime Upgrade. I just installed it over Home Premium and reloaded my downloaded programs, which didn't take long as there wasn't much installed to begin with.