VLC beta app on Android, but whatever happen to the one we had on the app store?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by aziatiklover, Jul 2, 2012.

1. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

So with the BS lawsuit that happened with our free VLC app in the app store while back.

How come Android can get it without having any lawsuit issue and what not! :eek: :mad:

2. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Apple removed it in January of last year...here is the quote from one of the original creators of the VLC open platform:

3. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Licensing issues. VLC is open source, and is licensed under the GNU General Public License. This means you're legally allowed to install it on as many machines as many times as you like. When it was available on the App Store, it was tied to Apple's licensing agreement, which only allows you to install apps tied to your account on X amount of devices.

The GNU people didn't like it, and couldn't come to an agreement with Apple, so pfft...away it went. Shame really. It was, by and far, the best video player app available on iOS.

4. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

One of the things I miss when I sold my iPad 1 and bought the iPad 3. I couldn't get the app anymore. It really was a great app, it was 1 or 2 updates away from perfection. There have been other good video player apps that have appeared since then, and the VLC app is available to those people who jailbreak.

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    On the plus side, it's still available on Cydia. I downloaded it for my iPad 3 just a few days ago.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Also still available as source here:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ios.html

IIRC it had to do with wrapping the app in DRM as required for the app store. I guess Google Play doesn't have the same licensing issues.

B

7. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

That's funny, it's still working on my iPad... I guess it just helps to get it while it lasts!

8. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Guys don't mourn the loss of this app. I'm sorry to say that it's pretty weak on iOS compared to some other titles. There is absolutely no point in using it, compared to the better players.

See for example my post on all this at http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14835589&postcount=20 . Note that that's an answer to a more or less personal attack (a forum member has questioned my ability to evaluate media players), hence the heated style.

9. aziatiklover thread starter macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Yeap i know rite? Man I format my macbook and forgot to back up the ipa! :mad:

Oh well I have cinexplayer tho.

10. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

You don't lose much. Give a try to the current hi-end players, they're much better.

11. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Totally agree.
    Not like there wasn't a choice.