VLC coming to iPhone soon, but are any video players available TODAY?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by motulist, Sep 25, 2010.

1. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

I want (actually, I kind of need) to be able to watch videos on my iPod Touch in a manner that the built-in video player doesn't do. I know VLC is coming soon, but I seem to remember hearing someone say that other alternate video players already exist. I googled around and searched the forums here, but I didn't find anything.

Is there an alternate video player app available for iOS right now?

2. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Yes, there are

* Air Video: does on-the-fly transcoding but you'll need a home server.
    * OPlayer: plays various formats including DivX without conversion
    * YXPlayer: same as OPlayer
    * CineXPlayer: same as above

I have been using Air Video for a long time and it's an awesome app if it fits your need, but you'll need a wi-fi connection and a server.

OPlayer plays most of the usual standard definition DivX stuff and non iPod supported MP4 stuff just fine as long as you don't zoom in. It also supports multitasking so you can play movie files just to listen to the audio which is a nice bonus. But as expected it struggles with 720p+ material. YXPlayer struggles even with the standard definition files and everything's too choppy to be watchable. Haven't tried CineX yet. OPlayer and YXPlayer have ad-supported versions so go ahead and try them out first.

3. wingfaith macrumors newbie

^
    This is going to be my first ipod touch, there are alot of things i'm not sure about. It seems like the apps you just listed are for ipad, i guess you can also use it for the itouch?

4. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

They all came out for the iPhone/iPod first.