VLC iPad app pulled from the App store?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by David-fr, Jan 11, 2011.

1. David-fr macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I wanted to use the VLC app for my iPad which i had but could not install. Then i went to the app store to re-downloaded and i could not find, looked for a link online and it open itunes to tell me the app is not available in the US!

Was the app pulled or something? What the hell happened to it? Me wantz it now :(

BTW in the past they have deleted apps BUT not from my computer, i got to keep a tether app introduce in the iPhone 3G and others :S

2. sportster macrumors 6502

I actually really like vlc and use it often on my iPad. I hope I get to keep it, I hate having to convert videos to watch once on my iPad or iPhone 4.

3. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

VLC wasn't the only option for playing other types of video. There are numerous other choices (CineXPlayer, OPlayer, Buzz Player etc.) still available on the App Store.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

I think the argument, which was valid to a point, was that VLC is based on GNU and supposedly you can't charge for GNU apps. The complaint was filed by an employee from Nokia (I think), where they are not exactly happy with Apple's success.

5. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

I don't use it very often, but i'm glad I got it before it got pulled from the App Store.

6. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

I use OPlayer instead of VLC, I prefer it. I find it better. My training partner in the gym uses Buzz player and raves that that is better than OPlayer

There are definitely options out there

7. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

No, you are allowed to charge for GNU apps, but what you have to do is provide the source when asked, and you cannot put it under any other license terms that violate what the GPL states. The argument was that the App Store terms did violate the GPL terms, so the inventor of the software said that either Apple could change the terms under which VLC is sold (thus allowing GPL apps as is), or they had to take down VLC. Apple chose to take down VLC.

8. Built macrumors 68020

Love my VLC player. I have it installed on my iPad as well as all my computers...both PCs and Macs...