VLC: override/mute all other system audio while watching movies?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eldonhenley, Apr 13, 2008.

1. eldonhenley macrumors newbie

**I made this same post in the VLC forums, and got no answer after almost a month. Maybe someone here has some ideas...

I'm curious if there is a way to mute or override all other system audio when playing a video in VLC (at least when it's in full screen mode).

I have my TV hooked up via extended desktop mode, and I play fullscreen movies on the 'extended' screen (my TV) while still using other apps on my laptop screen. I hate it when little blips and alert sounds from Finder/Safari/iChat/etc come through my surround speakers in the middle of watching a movie or TV show.

Thanks!

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Once there was the Detour applications that permitted to do that (and also direct the various audio of each application to the desired output device). it's now free but no more updated. Still you may want to try it if you meet the requirements:

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/detour/

from the same developer another apps let you mute applications, although it's main use is to record from any applications:

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/audiohijackpro/

The reasons rogue amoeba gave (and that you can find in the link above) for stopping the updating and further developing of Detour explains also why it's difficult to achieve what you describe.

3. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

4. eldonhenley thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, after reading the reasons for 'retirement' of that app, it seems like it wouldn't do what i want. I just want VLC to be the only thing outputting audio when it is in full screen mode. It seems like that would be a setting within VLC, if anything.

But thank you for that suggestion. Anyone else have any thoughts?

5. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

How many alerts do you really get through those other apps? For me it's mainly just IM — I use Adium and have it set to mute sound when in Away mode. Not sure if iChat has a similar option. I have no idea what you have open in Finder/Safari/etc. that would be making sounds so I can't really say what else to do other thank quitting the offending apps when watching a movie.

6. Johnathon03 macrumors newbie

You can still use audiohijackpro because the demo just adds noise, but you can mute the hijacked application. Therefore, the sound from an app will be muted even though noise is being overlaid.