Vodafone Italy announces 3G iphone prepaid prices

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samab, Jun 11, 2008.

1. samab macrumors 6502a

8 GB 3G iphone = 499 euro ($772 US)
    16 GB 3G iphone = 569 euro ($880 US)

http://iphone.vodafone.it/

And Italy has 2 carriers selling the iphone.

2. twitchton macrumors newbie

3. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Get a contract and it will be under 130 euros.

4. twitchton macrumors newbie

The contract is not affordable then

$772 does not make sense the last version's just $499 at first.

5. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Well hopefully this means it will be the same price as the old one in the US.

6. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

You're making assumptions. Steve said the iPhone will not be more than $199US in ANY market with a two year contract. You're going to have to add a 20 or so euro data plan to whatever you're paying now.

7. twitchton macrumors newbie

So why the last version's $499 and even $399
    but now $772?

More affordable?

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

He actually said most markets, not all markets.

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Use your heads people...though maybe in some cases that wouldn't necessarily help much :rolleyes:

I have to assume those of you blurting out the $772 figure are Yanks and have simply run a currency conversion to US$ from €. As pricing for everything that has ever existed in various markets has shown, and as your own experience should tell you it's never as simple as that.

While you were paying $399 (I think?) for the last iPhone, we (in the UK) were paying £269. By your overly simple method of simply converting currency that makes it so we're paying ~$538. ZOMG WHAT A RIP OFF!!!111!one! Different markets, different rates of inflation, different costs of doing business, different regulations, taxes. Need I go on? I know it sucks, I live in "rip off britain", believe me I know.

An off-line Nokia N95 is €529. I realise this is unlocked, but other than that it's not much different to a PAYG iPhone. There can be no subsidies, you are paying every penny for the tech in that handset.

Though I hope and pray the o2 PAYG iPhone will be in what I'd consider to be a reasonable price bracket (~£200-300), I think you really have to be prepared for and expect it to be higher.

10. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

You're right, his exact quote was, "in almost every one of these markets."

That said, I'd be shocked to see it be significantly more in any of the regions with a higher price, and really doubt Italy would have a higher price.

11. TheGodfather macrumors newbie

These prices include Italian VAT, which is 20%. This accounts for most of the difference.

12. Lorthirk macrumors member

Italian VAT is 20%.

13. elpayaso macrumors newbie

Pay as you go restrictions

Hey, does anybody know the restrictions that will be enforced to the pay as you go 3g iphones?

Would I be able to buy an Italian vodafone 3g iphone and then use a British vodafone sim card in it for example?

Thanks

14. MadDoc macrumors 6502

MadDoc

The bottom line is that if the iPhone is released in your country unlocked on a prepay basis then it is going to cost $100 - $200 more than the iPod Touch or else it would just cannibalize the sales of that. Surely you can understand that?

MadDoc,

15. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

What? You are overpaying for the iPhone. When Apple goes to pay their suppliers, they are doing it with whatever money. But if they bring it back to the US and converting it, your 269 euros is going to provide them with MORE cash in hand, than my $399 US Dollars. That is a fact. I think you guys got too used to Apple charging you the same price in Dollars and Euros that now that the dollar has tanked you are still getting reamed, just not as bad, and seem to think it is okay.

If your iPhone was 199 euros it might be more comparable, to the $399 price otherwise you are paying much more than someone in the US.

16. MadDoc macrumors 6502

MadDoc

It's not that simple.

Just because it costs more to buy Apple stuff in the UK than it does in the US doesn't mean we in the UK are being "ripped off". Global economics is a complicated business. You have to remember that (Economies of scale wise) the US is a massive market (304m compared to the UK's 60m people) so Apple can afford to alter their prices based on location. Feel sorry for me in Australia - with a population of 20m people, we have about as much economic bargaining power with Apple as Texas (23m people) alone!

MadDoc,

17. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Well maybe if you people didn't sound so funny other people would be able to understand what you're saying and move there. :D

18. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

So this is the price for a legit, approved, authorized unlocked iPhone? Am I reading this right? I will still wait for a 32 Gigger, but if it is legit authorized unlocked, I will buy one no questions asked.... and run it legit on TMo.