Vodafone to have exclusive rights to 3G iPhone in Q1?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by edesignuk, Nov 20, 2007.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Engadget.

Not that I believe any of it, but being an existing Vodafone customer it's certainly something that might help sway me to paying out the stupid amount of money the iPhone costs :p

Discuss...

2. bartelby macrumors Core

For the Italian market maybe. Not for Germany, France or the UK.

3. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I can't see it either but a great pipe dream! It would remove my to obstacles to the current iPhone anyway - it's not 3G, it's not on voda.

4. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Common market. Selling in the EU means you can buy in any country in the EU.

So yes, for all of the above.

I'm sceptical about a Q1 release though.. by this time there would be something more solid (the factories in china where these things are made leak like a seive... the average phone is known about ages before its release).

5. bartelby macrumors Core

So a German T-Mobile or French Orange iPhone will work flawlessly in the UK, with no hassle?

I think not.

I'm not saying you can't buy one but getting it to work in the UK on Vodaphone easily ain't going to happen.

6. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

You have a legal right to buy them (well, the same rights that a german/french citizen has). You might have to do some fiddling to make them work (maybe not even then).. but they're available.

All that will happen when unlocked or 3G iphones become available is importers will make a business out of sorting out the fiddly stuff and selling them to you.

7. bartelby macrumors Core

Then Apple release a country specific update and it's locked again. Then you unlock it and a while later Apple release another update and locks your phone...

Too much hassle for me. I'll just wait for official ones and better tariffs. If that doesn't happen; No loss for me it's just a phone.

8. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

So don't update. Nobody's forcing you.. heck, 99% of phones have the same firmware on them from the date of manufacturer till they end up on landfill. Upgrading is a thing geeks do.

9. bartelby macrumors Core

What OS are you running on your computer?

10. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

heh. You made my point for me. OS sales are mostly on new computers. If the average person wants to upgrade they buy a new computer, or they leave well alone. I'm lucky enough to know a lot of non-technical people (great for roping them in for usability testing) and not one of those has upgraded anything to my knowledge.

Hell, I'm a technical guy and I rarely update any firmware for anything unless it's broken. The cisco IOS images are a year old, the Wifi Hotspot is using the same firmware it shipped with.. I have no idea what firmware the printer, phone, UPS etc. are on but it'll be what they shipped with too. Even the servers are still mostly Windows 2000 and there are no plans to update those either..

The only reason I keep the iphone updates is because I'm waiting for some of its problems to be fixed (and it's fun breaking it, although 1.1.2 was boring because apple didn't even try this time around).

This world you seem to believe everyone upgrades to the latest and greatest of everything is a tiny minority. So if importers import the 3G iphone people will be perfectly happy with it. Especially if they put a sticker on the back saying don't upgrade.

11. bartelby macrumors Core

Very interesting, but you avoided the question...

12. lovesafron macrumors newbie

???

I think this will apply for few region and in current days such type of activities
    did not work as it was work in the case of microsoft and IBM few decade ago!!

13. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

You run OSX 10.4.0 then? Or OSX 10.3.0?

I wouldn't employ you as a "technical guy" in a million years if that is the case.

Security patches for network connected devices are vital.

14. DogcowUK macrumors member

No way it can be a Europe wide exclusive deal. UK iPhone customers with O2 would be stuffed, tied into an O2 contract for 18 months until they can switch to Vodafone for the 3G iPhone... makes no sense at all.

15. mpw Guest

Well I'm switching to either Vodafone/O2/Orange/T-Mobile/3... or somebody else quite soon so I'll be looking at the various tariff/handset options on offer.

Will I be looking to the iPhone?.....

Probably not, I'm not convinced by it, although there's no doubting it's a great iPod, I think the phone has been stupidly (although I'm sure sound bussiness-wise) crippled. I tried a TouchPod this weekend and just couldn't get on with either the text entry (but it is much better than I expected) or the surfing. My fact fingers just kept hitting the wrong links on fussy pages.

Nokia E90 ftw!

16. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

I dont believe we will see a New iphone in Q1, maybe Q2-3. And i hope its with o2.