VOEL (Victory over Enemies List) Day: Obama yields to FoxNEWS

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Full of Win, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Drudgereport.com is reporting that Obama has given an interview to FOXNEWS while he is is China.

A few weeks ago, the Times had reported that FoxNews, being on the enemies list, was a no-go for interview for the rest of 2009. This is a victory for the truth. Way to stick to your guns FoxNews! :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/18/weekinreview/18davidcarr.html?_r=2

Attached Files:

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I suppose if there were an actual Fox News, Obama could give interviews to it.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's bad enough you start ridiculous threads just to get a rise out of people. It's even worse when they are full of typos and third grade grammatical errors.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Because when I think of journalistic integrity and accurate reporting, I think of Drudge Report :rolleyes:

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

7. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I'd like to wish everyone a happy VOEL :)confused:) Day!

8. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

First, there's no article on Drudge except for a small note at the corner that Major Garrett—who names their kid Major? He's almost a Heller character—may interview Obama. Of course, while doing a Google search I also found out that similar sources describe Garret as struck with swine flu, so we'll see.

But, more importantly, what exactly is your philosophy here? If Obama has decided to talk to the Fuzzy Onion during his trip, wouldn't this be a good thing? And, second, how is this a victory over 'enemies.' If Obama has an enemies list, wouldn't this be a loss?

Also, it's "yield" and Fox News.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Wondering if Hallmark has cards to recognize the occasion.

10. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

And they never make anything up, ever!

http://www.politico.com/blogs/michaelcalderone/1109/Report_Fox_getting_Obama_sitdown.html

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Thanks, but you misspelled it. :D

12. Full of Win thread starter macrumors 68030

Full of Win

OK, let me go through this slowly

If you read the NYT story, you can see that FoxNews was seen as an enemy of the Obama administration - hence the term "enemy list", as in a list of organizations or people that get poor treatment e.g. withholding of interviews

From the NYT...
    So, basically, they now giving an interview in 2009, against earlier statements.

Hence the title VICTORY.

I can further explain this if you like. But in short, the WH blinked on this one. FOXNEWS won.

13. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I don't think one organization is a "list."

See above; they aren't.

Um, no.

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It has been said that the whole kerfuffle over Fox and the administration was deliberately stoked by the White House so that the media would take its eye off the ball — which they did — while the health care bill was at a difficult sticking point in Congress, before it came to the floor.

Shell game: watch the hands, not the pea. ;)

15. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

This is about the only way it'll get passed as in it's current form most of America thinks it's a bad idea.

16. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

That's a separate issue.

Fox needs White House access far more than the administration needs Fox. The administration will use them when they see fit, as they quite rightly see them as an extension of the Republican Party's communications efforts, rather than as a news organisation.

If the White House needs to get its message out, it has far more ways and means at its disposal than a cable news channel that pulls in about 2-3 million viewers. Combined ratings for network news are about 25 million.

17. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Maybe you want to read my post, #10

18. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Why do you hate America so much?

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Fox just happens to have the most viewership.

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Er, no. Fox pulls in about a couple of million people on cable, but most people don't watch cable news as is clear by the ratings. CBS 60 Minutes, for instance, pulls in about 16 million on average.

What's more, Fox, because of its strongly partisan and unique product, is essentially competing against all the other cable news channels who offer a similar and more balanced take on things. Fox is providing something you can't get elsewhere, the rest are fighting for a different audience.

So, looking at the total audience Nielsen ratings for cable:

Total day: FNC: 451 | CNN: 255 | MSNBC: 131 | HLN: 178

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/ratings/

That's Fox with 451 yet they're only getting less than half of all cable news audience, not that many people watch cable news anyway.

Don't believe the hype.

21. macfan881 macrumors 68020

Fixed

22. macfan881 macrumors 68020

Win!

23. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

LOL at all the bash Fox News posts and all the other networks are instantly better than Fox News because Fox News lies and no other network lies ever anywhere in the world. Its not the lying that bothers you, its that Fox lies/whistleblows for the other team. :rolleyes:

24. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No, its the fact that Fox News lies so blatantly and reports biased stuff. Other networks aren't saints, but they try to give you a general (notice try to, Fox doesn't even try) overview so you get a picture and make up your dam mind.

Fox on the other hand makes up your mind for you thru their blatant lies and false reports. See John Stewart's remarks on Fox lately.

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Are you kidding me?

Fox MANUFACTURES stories, thats not news, thats outright lying to push an agenda.