Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Voice commands to use Apple TV?

TriApple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
I have an Apple TV 4K, a HomeKit enabled TV, and a HomePod... all in the same room.

How (if I can) do I use voice commands beyond turning the TV on/off? I’d like to say... use you voice to tune to a live tv channel in Hulu or watch a specific show - similar to using the voice button on the remote.

Does the ability to do this via voice exist?

vertical smile

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2014
Maybe some, but I can never get hardly any to work. Maybe there is a list somewhere saying what can be done.

I think Apple really needs to pay more attention to the tvOS. There is so much potential, but the way it is now, the ATV4K is just an overpowered, but overpriced streaming box.

I know a lot of people are looking forward to a new ATV to come out, but Apple hasn't come close to utilizing the A10X in the ATV4K.

I would much rather have Apple release a decent tvOS update over new HW with the same SW.

waw74

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2008
you can do some of it with shortcuts.

you can power on/off an appleTV, and launch apps
then depending on if the app allows remote control, you can add more steps to bring up the content you want.

I use a program called channels, it connects to TV tuners on your network, and streaming channels, and gives you a DVR. It also has a small web server built in, so you can control it using web calls.
They've published a few shortcuts, using on of those, I'm able to say one command to siri, and have it turn the TV on, launch the app, and tune to a specific channel.
I also modifed it to check if the TV was on first, if it wasn't it added a long pause so that everything would be fully powered up before it tried to change the channel. If the TV was already on, no pause, so it finished sooner.

I believe Plex also allows you to control it remotely via the web, I'm not sure what other apps do.

Blowback

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2018
VA
I have an Apple TV 4K, a HomeKit enabled TV, and a HomePod... all in the same room.

How (if I can) do I use voice commands beyond turning the TV on/off? I’d like to say... use you voice to tune to a live tv channel in Hulu or watch a specific show - similar to using the voice button on the remote.

I've not had any problem with voice commands. I can say 'turn Apple TV on' or 'off''`; 'Rewind 5 min.' ' Go forward 5 min'....etc. Don't remember the exact wording I've used for rewind/go forward but it works. Using Apple TV HD (connected to Samsung 2020 'Smart TV) . Will try some more commands today but it seems to work. Make sure you have HMDI connected to proper input on tv and HDMI-CEC set up for the tv and in the Apple TV settings.

Blowback

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2018
VA

Triapple; look for Utube video by Shane Whatley called : Ctr your Apple TV with Your Home Pod....etc. It should be of help.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007

Unfortunately it is not that simple. The TV has an operating system and applications. The Apple TV has its operating system and applications. When you are changing a TV channel on the TV using its tuner or apps it is done by the TV operating system. If it supports voice commands then you have to use the TV's supported voice commands, which are usually not Siri commands. If you are using the Apple TV then you have to use SIRI and the commands that you use have to be supported by the Apple TV and the app you are using. There may be some commands that allow TV control, but they are limited.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.