Voice notification of who is calling?

MrGimper

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
When your phone is in your pocket and you're listening to some tunes, is there a way for Siri to tell you verbally who is calling you when you receive a call?

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
You can assign unique ring tones for each person that is in your address book. That will help a little.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Just a thought. Would require a little setup, but you could record separate files of yourself saying the names of the people you are most interested in, and then transfer those over to the iPhone, and then set each contact's ringtone to the appropriate ringtone file you created. Kludgey I know, but I think it would work. Otherwise, I don't know of any other way.

sluggozmom

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2011
Massachusetts
My BlueAnt Q2 Bluetooth device downloaded my address book when I paired it and it announces the callers name. Great feature when I am driving!
You probably wouldn't have a very good listening experience using this for your music though :eek:

seeharrison

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2011
Just a thought. Would require a little setup, but you could record separate files of yourself saying the names of the people you are most interested in, and then transfer those over to the iPhone, and then set each contact's ringtone to the appropriate ringtone file you created. Kludgey I know, but I think it would work. Otherwise, I don't know of any other way.
This is exactly what I did on my old Blackberry. I actually found a website that did text to speech and I used the mp3 from that site. It worked well!

MrGimper

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Thanks for the suggestion. I'd only want to to do it when the headset is plugged in. I'm wonderful and all that, but having my own voice as a ringtone is pushing it :) Perhaps I might raise a feedback suggestion to Apple. Would be quite handy not to have to remove my phone from my pocket to know who it was calling.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
You could do this on the iPhone itself if you have Garageband installed. Even through in a robotic voice to change it a bit if required.