Voice to Text churning and giving no results

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Scott-n-Houston, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

I love the 4S and the concept. Lately though, when I try voice to text (when doing a SMS or an email), the little icon shows its working, and then nothing shows.

It's been happening a lot the last few days. I don't know if it's a server side thing or my phone.

I'm on Verizon. Anyone else experiencing this? Verizon or not. I'm guessing that it's relate to te recent Siri problems but not sure.

2. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i think its because siri has been down sporadically. when siri is down, dictation will not work.

it has happened to me a couple times but its been fine since siri has been working. gl.

4. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

Yeah, it's because the servers are down. My dictation came back when Siri did.

5. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies. Mine seemed to be unrelated. There were times dictation worked and Siri did not and vice versa.

I am guessing you are right though. It's got to be related to the servers that do all the work for Siri.

By the way, this post was done using dictation. :)

6. RNGypsy03 macrumors newbie

Siri churning also

yesterday....My speech to text worked fine, but today it's not working...I called Apple tech support, and they were useless...first tier techs usually are..... Sigh.... So I saw your post. Did you ever get this fixed, and if so....how? Or if anyone else knows...for sure...I'd love to hear your reply.

I've had enough of speculation for one day...99% of it coming from Apples tech support line...I think sometimes I know more about my iPhone than they do....again, sigh...

thanks

7. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Mine works perfectly fine. As always, I just have to talk directly to the microphone so that she can understand what I'm saying.

8. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Tried doing this at around 7:45 EST tonight. Nothing happened. Siri's 3 purple dots just kept going back and forth. Tried 4 times. Nada. Previously, never had an issue. It's rather accurate to be honest - when it's working.

9. cwosigns macrumors 65816

Same for me. Siri works great; dictation via the microphone on the keyboard not so much. I just get the three dots, and then nothing. Quite frustrating; I use that feature a lot.

10. RNGypsy03 macrumors newbie

So....

Are we going with the theory that some part of the Siri server is down? I asked this question when I called tech support earlier at Apple but of course they had no reports of an outage...

Has anyone heard anything definite?

11. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

I thought this thread may get resurrected today. I am glad it did actually because it means I'm not alone. I had the issue again all day yesterday. Siri worked but dictation didn't. It seems to be back now though.