Voicemail to text?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ephailey, Sep 27, 2012.

1. ephailey macrumors member

On the iphone is there a way to get voicemails transcribed and sent to email or text message? don't want to add a new phone number to give everyone like some of the google voice applications. I'd like to just have people call my regular att iphone number and then if I am in a meeting see the text of the call.

2. millerhifi macrumors regular

You might have a look at YouMail.
    It's a great alternative to visual voicemail and you have the option to have messages transcribed to text.

3. spades1412 macrumors 6502

4. Scribbious macrumors newbie

Another option is www.TalkScribe.com.

High quality transcription by humans. Can also be used for quick dictation or notes-to-self.

Unanswered calls to your regular number are forwarded to a TalkScribe voice mailbox for messaging and transcription. Transcriptions can be delivered to regular email and/or Text message.

No obligation two-week trial.

John
    (Disclosure: I work for TalkScribe)

5. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

I used to use Google Voice for business and I found the transcription accuracy to be poor. I wouldn't recommend it.

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I use it and transcriptions depend on the caller. It's not always 100% but generally good enough that I don't have to listen to the message. I recommend that each person try it out to assess for his/her self rather than rely on recommendations from random people with varying preferences and needs/wants.

As stated above, you don't have to change numbers to use Google Voice's voicemail. You can set up conditional call forwarding to go to GV voicemail instead of your carrier's VM center. However, GV's full set of features are only available to you if people call you on your GV number. You can always port, IIRC.

7. cvaldes, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012

cvaldes macrumors 68040

Google Voice's voicemail-to-text transcription feature gives mixed results and there's nothing the end user (call recipient) can do about it.

Its accuracy is better when analyzing a message left by a slow-speaking native English speaker without a noticeable regional accent. Those transcriptions are generally good enough to be useful.

Google Voice will butcher messages from non-native English speakers. Those transcriptions are frequently so poor that it's a waste of your time trying to decipher them. They're good for a chuckle, but not much more.

8. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I've experienced this with native English speakers as well, particularly if there is background noise. No clue what was being said.