Volume control shows sound is being made but i can't hear it - Vista through bootcamp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by equalsabracket, May 29, 2009.

1. equalsabracket macrumors regular

I have a macbook pro and although there's sound playing, as shown by the green icon in the volume control thing moving when i play something, i can't hear it. This wasn't happening yesterday, although i've noticed that it often takes until i'm on the main menu of the sims until it starts playing the sound from the game so this MIGHT be related (i often put the sims on when i start vista so it may be that it usually takes a while to get the audio working). Any ideas on what i could do or what the problem could be?

2. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Did you plug in headphones earlier? Is there a red light coming out from the headphones jack in the MBP?

Does the sound work normally in OSX?

3. equalsabracket thread starter macrumors regular

No, i didn't plug in earphones earlier, but i just have now to test that out and the sound works now i've unplugged them. I'll just do this as a temporary solution if it happens again. Thanks.

4. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Usually when you have headphones plugged in, there is a sensor switch inside of the headphone jack that tells the machine that a headphone is present.

Sometimes the switch fails to disengage when headphones are taken out of the jack, so that might've been the issue.

5. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Might be the updated trackpad driver that Apple released in December. I've had the same issues as you describe.

Delete all the mouse and trackpad drivers from the Device Manager.

Put in your OSX disk and reinstall the old trackpad driver.

See if that fixes your problem.