Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zer0

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2007
Everytime i plug in and plug out my earphones on my MB, the speaker volume mutes and locks itself!! Volume Up/Down does not work anymore. Also I notice a red LED light glowing inside the volume jack :eek:

So once I plug in the earphones, I cannot use the MB for anything that requires speakers!! :mad:

Can someone help me with this? Thanks.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Strange - the MB/P's have a function that lets you have two separate volumes for headphones and speakers. Handy, because if the headphone jack came out by accident then you wouldn't have whatever your watching blaring out the speakers.

The reason for the headphone socket glowing is because the MB/P's offer optical out audio as well as your standard analogue connection. When using optical out, you cannot control the output volume using the MB/P keyboard shortcuts.

Your speakers are probably muted because your MB thinks you are using optical out (hence why there is red light coming out of the socket). Try going to System Preferences and clicking on the Sound tab, then Output.

See if you are able to select Internal Speakers and also check if there is anything else listed there - right now I have nothing connected to my headphone jack and I am only given one option, Internal Speakers. When I plug in my optical connection, it changes and gives me only 1 option and that's Digital Out.

Are you getting the same results, with digital out being the audio out device after you removed headphones? Strange if it does do that - if I plug in headphones to my MBP, sound device is changed to headphones, and if I plug the headphones it goes back to internal speakers. Does yours change to Digital Out?

Zer0

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2007
if I plug in headphones to my MBP, sound device is changed to headphones, and if I plug the headphones it goes back to internal speakers. Does yours change to Digital Out?

well thanks kilamite. You absolutely nailed it :cool:
thats exactly what is happening. seems to have started since I installed bootcamp. cant think of anything else I did. any fix you can think of??

Edit: And no I dont get any other option. When I unplug my earphones, it defaults back to Digital Out and I donot have anything else to select there :(

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Strange problem - shouldn't be related to Boot Camp in any way.

What version of OSX are you on? Got all the latest updates etc?

Zer0

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2007
Its a 10.4.10
However it knocked off my external USB hard drive!! So I had to downgrade the USB drivers to the ones from 10.4.9. So its a bit of a hybrid :)

I installed vista from bootcamp the same day as i updated OS X to 10.4.10!!

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Reading around other topics, seems you are not alone in this problem.

However, have you tried repairing disk permissions? Found under Disk Utility.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
However, have you tried repairing disk permissions? Found under Disk Utility.
This is not a software issue.

To the OP: grab a toothpick. Poke around in the hole (making sure the red light is still on) until your speakers are recognized again (when the light goes off and speakers..obviously start working), it wouldn't hurt to have system prefs open to verify things are working. If I remember correctly, it's about halfway in depth and it's the part of the hole closer to the keyboard...but it's been a few months, so my memory might be a little off. Everyone else says it's at the bottom, but truth be told I was poking around with my toothpick really hard all over the place because I had spent 10 minutes on it already. So try the bottom first.

Apple made some ****** physical sensors that detect what's plugged in, and using the headphones tripped it making it switch to digital out instead of built in speakers. Toggling it with the toothpick makes it effectively reset to normal behaviour.

For more info, and maybe someone's come up with a precise location since I last did it...
http://www.google.com/search?q=apple+macbook+digital+out+toothpick

Zer0

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2007
Thanks janey. That worked. Just poked around the socket with a toothpick. This is so lame!! May be they should ship a toothpick with MB which can stick to the corner of the screen like the apple remote ;)

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Thanks janey. That worked. Just poked around the socket with a toothpick. This is so lame!! May be they should ship a toothpick with MB which can stick to the corner of the screen like the apple remote ;)

Annoying problem :) It took me half a month of wondering what was up before I googled around to find the solution.

Wish apple didn't use such flimsy stuff sometimes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.