VolumeButtonExtender and Volume Boost were some of the GREATEST Cydia apps

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Bandolier, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

VolumeButtonExtender is a lifesaver if you drive. It lets you change the song safely without needing to turn on the screen then double clicking the home button then aiming for the Next Song button. You can simply hold the volume up button and it goes to the next song. Great stuff.

If any of you use an FM transmitter to listen to your iPhone/iPod Touch in the car, you know that you have to turn your stereo speakers much higher than a normal radio station. With Volume Boost it removed Apple's preset volume limit and enabled you to set a higher max volume.

It's a shame these two haven't been updated for iPhone 4 yet. Great apps, those two. Great apps. Free as well.

2. agallowa macrumors regular

agallowa

anyone know when they will be updated for us ip4 users? these would be great for my everyday use.... does the holding the volume thing to change the track work with headphones in using the volume control on the headphones? that would be killer

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You don’t need VolumeBoost. You can edit the appropriate plist files to increase your volume:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=8067771&postcount=1

However, I was one to bitch about the volume on the 3G, and with the iPhone 4, the volume is significantly louder, such that I can actually use my phone as a speaker phone (before I put it on speaker phone and had to hold it to my ear). Be careful you don’t blow out your speaker.

4. bengtc macrumors regular

Im using an iphone 4 and "Volume Media Settings" is working to allow the buttons to change songs.

5. Bandolier thread starter macrumors 6502a

Really appreciate the input and the link, but have you tried that method on the iPhone 4 yet?

Speakerphone volume isn't the issue for me, only the headphone volume for my FM transmitter so I don't have to turn my stereo dial up so high (you get a lot of white noise as you may know when you turn on a silent show on high volume).

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Why would I? I said the volume was great now; I even have to turn it down sometimes. On my 3G I could barely hear it until I changed those settings and even then it needed to be louder.

7. bengtc macrumors regular

forgot to add that Volume Media Settings allows you to pause the song by pressing + then - in succession

8. agallowa macrumors regular

agallowa

does it let you control the track skip with the volume control on your headphones?

9. bmms8 macrumors 68020

wow VMS is awesome! works with pandora too! i had no idea about this little gem, thanks!

10. Bandolier thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not enjoying it too much. It's not a "hold to change song" type of deal. It's a press once to change, meaning I no longer can use the volume buttons for volume.

11. airesso macrumors newbie

Sadly those steps don't seem to be working anymore. I've tried boosting them and get nothing, then to see if they worked I tried setting everything to .000001 and there was no volume reduction.

12. bmms8 macrumors 68020

it was working but now it doesnt seem like it is :(

13. globalist macrumors 6502a

Just use Activator for this (prev/next song).

14. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I agree, this would be better if it was "press and hold" to work. I find the suggestion by "globalist" to be a more workable solution.

Using "Activator", I set "Down, Up" volume to be "Next Track" and "Up, Down" volume to be "Previous Track". Then I decided to set "Short Hold" of the home button to "Play/Pause".

It's nice that I don't have to add any more software.

S-

15. Lomex68 macrumors newbie

Sollution found!

Hi Guys,

my first post here, i´m German, so if there should be mistakes in my English - please excuse....:eek:

Ok, I´ve got a 3GS running on 4.0.1 and it almost drove me nuts, that my iPod App couldn´t conquer the Sound of my Ducati while driving.

It took me days, to find out why all those hacks to improve the volume on my iPhone failed - and its so simple...

Under system/library/PrivateFramworks/Celestial.framework there is the file RegionalVolumeLimits. All available hacks aim to modify this file throug winterboard themes (Setting the Value to each country region from 0.89999..... and so on to 1. But: the file permissions are set to 0644, therefore, no matter what I tried, the Volume always stayed the same. Until I copied the file with iPhone PCSuite to my comp, modifyed the values by hand and switched file perms to root755. Then copied it back (overwrote the old one!) rebooted - et vòila. This should work with any SSH Proggy.

Incredible loud, no clipping, simply perfect!

BUT:!!! I use the iPhone in my car with a cable. When I started my iPod App first time in my car, I almost ruined my Audio System, because the inputlevel is of course much higher - Take care on this guys and enjoy.:D